Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AKA Kayaba gas filled shocks. Is anyone using these? I just put a set on my kid's 98 S-10 Blazer. The alignment shop owner and the Parts house that my Company buys their parts from both reccommended these shocks over Bilsteins and Ranchos I had never heard of them before...........The mid range white ones were $45 ea for the Blazer.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Japanese company. Makes forks and shocks for motorcycles.

I think all of the Japanese motorcycle brands use either KYB or Showa (owned by Honda)

Not bad stuff. I think quality is good & your are not paying much in the way of a marketing surcharge/premium since they do not really advertise here.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I have them on my LT1 Caprice and they do purty good, a couple of years now, but they are not Bilsteins.
JP

·
Registered
22,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
I personally think that Bilsteins are better but there are some really good shocks out there. Just personal preference. Good luck..

·
Registered
127 Posts
I installed a set on my 1981 Toyota 4X4 pickup back in 1981. I had one go bad in 1988 after about 120,000 miles. I took it off, sent it back to Downey Off Road, and they shipped a new one to me, no questions asked. They are great on the Toyota, really improve control and ride on and off road. I wondered about getting a set for my 2005 Duramax, but did not know if they would perform as well with all the weight on the frontend of the Chevy. One member here was offered a free set by his dealer as replacement for worn out stock shocks on his DMAX. IIRC, he opted to buy Bilsteins instead. Not sure, but I think at least one member has a set of KYBs on his Duramax, and gave them high marks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just put KYB Mono Max shocks on all 4 corners of the truck in my sig. Front end is perfect. I think the weight of the motor actually helped their performance. The rear are a little too stiff for me when unloaded. A little too much pogo stick feel. When loaded down or hooked to a trailer they work great. Excellent control and stability. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Reera,

Have you lowered your tire pressure in the back?
It makes a big difference. 80 PSI unloaded on E load tires will wear out the center of tires much quicker, harder ride, plus you dont need that much load capacity empty.
I run 60-65 front and 50-55 rear empty. Front of truck is heavier hence more PSI. I never run 80 PSI in the front even towing 8k.

SC

·
Registered
84 Posts
Reera,

Have you lowered your tire pressure in the back?
It makes a big difference. 80 PSI unloaded on E load tires will wear out the center of tires much quicker, harder ride, plus you dont need that much load capacity empty.
I run 60-65 front and 50-55 rear empty. Front of truck is heavier hence more PSI. I never run 80 PSI in the front even towing 8k.

SC
Yep, I've done that. 55-60 in fronts. 50-55 in rears. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts