Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont like the fuel filter on the tractor......it sucks. The owners manual says to empty the bowl every 100 hours or less, and replace the thing at 400 hours.

What I want to do it put a CAT filter on there.......

The stock unit is cartridge type. It sits under a head with a pet****, On / On / Off. (Odd, no?) One line in, one line out, and one other line that goes straight to the fuel tank. It is apparently for priming?

First....does CAT make any cartridge fuel filters? I want 2 micron, just like the trucks.

If not, it looks like Ill need to replace the filter head.......anyone know where I might find something with a pet****, line in, line out, and line info the filter from the tank?

I dont think the filter on there is worth beans.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How old is your Kubota? Mine is 1980's sometime vintage. The pet**** works juat like on a motorcycle in that you have a reserve setting. The pressure in the fuel system is a whole lot less on the old ones like mine as it is a mechanical pump. I rescued mine from the weeds where it had sat for over year, saw it everday when I drove to work. It had a really rough life of neglect in the maint. department. I had the injectors rebuilt which fixed part of the problem I then had the pump checked and I was told that there was nothing wrong with the pump. The fuel filter that Kubota uses is not to bad, would not work for our HPCR fuel systems on our trucks. But for the mechanical systems works pretty good.

Mine is a L235 with a loader.

Doug

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
So what makes you think the fuel filter is no good?

Draining diesel fuel filters should be regular maintenance in my book--it's not a sign of a poor filter.

If there's no water, then it doesn't need to be drained--that's why most bowls are clear or translucent for you to see water inside.

I'll agree that Kubota filters aren't cheap, but I think they're generally high quality.

·
Registered
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tractor is an 03 MY, I think......maybe late 02. Ive been doing all of the other maintenance, but the idea of 'washing the filter' in KERO just seems a bit off. Ive never been a fan of washing filters, much less fuel filters.

I have never seen any water in the bowl, but that may very well be because of the biodiesel use.

The filter just does not look very impressive. I think it lists for something like 4 bucks. So it aint expensive.....

The knock just has me worried. It also seems to blow a bit more smoke now, but that could be my imagination. anyone know if it is a hard job to pull an injector and take a look at it?

Meanwhile, Ive switched back to B10 (pretty cold here lately) and Ill see how she runs tomorrow.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Mines an '87 L2550 . Don't put a whole lot of hours on it so the filter could be in there for over a year or more. Never had a fuel related problem yet. Actually haven't had ANY problem yet , always starts , always runs, very impressed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts