Diesel Place banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks, I don't think I would have done it without the many other prime examples on this forum who have done so before me.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So, after the outdoor temps increased, these issues went away. Like completely went away. The truck drove awesome all summer... Once the outdoor temps started decreasing recently again, the issues came back, but only one engine code came up. I had continually been getting P0606 if the engine was cold, and the engine would run oddly rough, just as it did last winter. Once the engine bay warmed up, it would run amazing, and I could clear the engine code and it wouldn't come back until the ecm was cold again. So, I purchased a used ecm from a local forum user, swapped it out, did a field relearn, and it's been running great the last couple days.

So, pretty sure it was just my ecm. Which it's damaged from the donor rollover truck anyway, so it's not surprising.

So, something internal must have been expanding/contracting with heat/cold. Good stuff.

The one on the right is my old damaged one, the one on the left is the new to me one:

Now I will need to get the ecm flashed with a tune again, but for now its awesome to have it running good again. Should have swapped ecm's sooner.

Reactions: davester

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
thanks for coming back and posting what the problem/fix turned out to be...

Reactions: Kriesel

·
Registered
2 Posts
I may have missed it, but did you get the Quadrasteer working? I’m planning to start this swap on my 03 GMC 1500HD Q-steer in the near future. My donor is an 06 GMC 2500HD LBZ/Allison. I plan to use the 2500hd frame and swap my body and diffs. Thanks for doing this write up! Your pdf file is amazing! It has given me the info and confidence I needed to get started!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
I may have missed it, but did you get the Quadrasteer working? I’m planning to start this swap on my 03 GMC 1500HD Q-steer in the near future. My donor is an 06 GMC 2500HD LBZ/Allison. I plan to use the 2500hd frame and swap my body and diffs. Thanks for doing this write up! Your pdf file is amazing! It has given me the info and confidence I needed to get started!
The new forum look has been confusing. I think I've got the hang of it now... So, sorry about the delayed reply.

Yes, my Quadrasteer works. I had some random issues along the way though. When doing the swap, one of my kids spun the steering wheel a few hundred times, and in doing so broke the clockspring (not quadrasteer related), but also mis-aligned the steering position sensor at the base of the steering column. Without a scan tool to measure the output of it, I tried to reset it a few times, but ended up just buying a new sensor, and it worked perfect. Without the new sensor the service 4ws announcement kept popping up. Another issue I had was that my front shocks, one went bad. So instead of replacing the shocks with the expensive electric ones, I opted for some "normal" Bilsteins. In order to bypass the electric shock, I hunted the forums and found that a resistor can be wired in to the circuit to fool the computer into thinking the electric shocks are still in place. I purchased two of these 3.9ohm resistors off amazon, and soldered/heatshrinked the terminal into the shock wiring, and the service suspension announcement also went away.

The heat shrink split a little, but I use heatshrink that has clear goo inside, and it did cover up the metal of the terminal. On the other side of the truck I double stacked the heatshrink to get much better coverage. If I have any issues, this one spot that's shown will be the first place I look. I used these resistors to hopefully not have any issues with head generation long term...

I've also had nonstop issues with the air conditioning leaking down over time, and have not been able to stop the leak. Originally I used some couplers from McMaster-Carr, and even tried so use a couple other different types, but to no avail. So, this summer I reached out to a few places locally, and found one that could help me make new lines. They did so, and did an amazing job at that. What you see here is the LBZ accumulator, with the suburban y-pipe spliced into the LBZ suction hose. The high pressure line is a little simpler, they just spliced the LBZ end that attaches to the condenser to the suburban high pressure y-pipe (I didn't take a picture of it).

I'm over 50k miles on the truck now. Been running awesome, and super reliable so far. I need to replace a glow plug before winter.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts