Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Chevy 2500 Dmax, on my way home tonight when engine light came on. had to make a stop and when we started back up the truck had no power and was knocking somewhat loudly. we were only about a half mile from home so we limped it home. Only about 75K on it so I am hoping nothing serious. I know that the fuel filter is probably 3-4 months overdue for a change. I also let sit for about half an hour and restarted once home, it ran fine for a few minutes but then did the same. Anyone have the same problems? Thinking about changing the fuel and air filter tomorrow, hoping it will fix the problem. Anyone have similar problem? Any ideas? Always had the fuel filter changed at dealer but don't want to chance driving it, its about ten miles. Any tips on changing myself? Any tricks or tips, not exactly sure how to do it. If i do it myself the fuel system has to be bled right? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help you can give. I really love my Dmax, especially when it runs like it should.

SLFF

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Never had that problem. Look in the DIY section here, theres a good thread on changing the fuel filter. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
been reading alot of posts about this ice pick thing. there was a sudden loss of power when the light came on and i was hoping that shutting truck off would reset things since we had to stop anyways. did not really seem to work though. should i change filters and stuff first to see if that works or go for the ice pick trick? any and all advice appreciated. thanks!

SLFF

·
Registered
86 Posts
If it sounds like a Cummins dying I bet your 2-7 injector harness let go it happened to me a while back you can get the GM up dated harness for around $250 or at least that’s what I paid but I just sprang the few extra bucks and had them put in for me total cost was like $400 I think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks MM. It was louder than a power stroke or a cummins at a red light and with even less power if that is possible...jk...i love anything diesel but the dm is my favorite...anyways, i will probably try the ice pick if nothing else to get it to the dealer for the permanent fix...wish I was more of a motorhead so I could give some good advice...still open to any suggestions but have a pretty good idea...thanks guys!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Do you have a programmer to check and see what codes you are getting, that would pry tell ya...

·
Registered
315 Posts
do u have access to a scan tool? Where r u located at?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts