Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just past through Albuquerque and truck fell flat on its face. CEL. This is while towing my 40' 5TH wheel too. Truck was running ok and I noticed that the boost was getting lower. (Normally 32 LBS down to 20LBS) I figured it was just because of the altitude. Then without warning, it wouldn't rev above 2000 and sounded like a Cummins. Top speed of 5 MPH. I had to put it into 4 wheel low just to creep it over the hump in the Exxon. :confused:

So, I am thinking maybe I didn't change the fuel filter at last oil change. Called up NAPA who is 10 miles away to see if they could send me one out. No deal, too far!! Sorry a$$e$!! :rant: Okay, no problemo...there are 3 people 'working' in this EXxon, surely they could give me a ride before Napa closes...which was in 30 minutes. No can do...too busy, have to call manager, ETC. You get the drift. I even offered to fill their gas tank for a ride. Nope. Lazy a$$e$!!:(

I am beginning to wonder about the quality of people in this town. Then I saw a 24 hour towing card taped to the table at the register of the exxon. Called tow guy up and catch him a Wal-Mart with his family. He hustles his family and groceries out and runs over to Autozone, picks up the filter and brings it to me. Good guy! FINALLY!:)

I install the filter and it fires up sounding like it is supposed to. But CEL is still on. Figure I'll take her for a spin and make sure it works. I get about 30 yards down the road and it happens again.:mad: So its not the filter, maybe its the Edge? Nope, still the same. Now I am wishing I would have bought the extension with the booststick. Its gotta come off and it is dark, getting cold, and the wife is not happy. I grab the tools, remove the compressor, and remove the booststick. Nope, still sounds like a Cummins.

So, that is where I stand. Truck went down a 5:30PM, worked on it and removed all my mods, got to the local overpriced KOA ($45 nightly!) at 1:15PM. And now I have nothing better to do than to wait on Chevy to open tomorrow and to bore you guys with my overly long rant.

Now if only Chevy won't void my warranty because of the cat being MIA.
Thanks for listening...I feel a bit better:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought my truck C4500 4x4 in Alb from Galles chevrolet. 505-767-6278
877-242-5537

Missing your cat should not be a problem, replaced mind shortly after I got it.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that is where my truck will be serviced. Good shop? Thanks for the numbers!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Kodiak

Sent you a PM with some info. on Trucks West in ABQ. Open 7-days/week and may even cover the tow-bill if the problem is covered by GM warranty.
Their number is 505-843-7703.

You can also save a few bucks by moving your RV to El Rancho RV/MH Park, at the corner of Wyoming and Zuni (just outside Kirkland AFB Gate), for only $25.00/night, and if need be, I can come move the RV for you, or take you around town to get your business with the truck done, etc. (no charge).

Been there...done that...I owe more favors than I can give, so don't worry about a thing, we can take care of you during this crisis, and get you on your way as soon as possible.

FOR OTHERS ON THE FORUM: This is an open invitation to all DP members. If you get stuck in Albuquerque (or need to share chips, beer and play cards), feel free to PM me. I'll do my best to get you off the side of the road (or out of traffic), connect you with locals that can get you fixed quickly, or tow your load for you to a safe (inexpensive) place while you get your equipment fixed.

RF

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Kodiak

Sent you a PM with some info. on Trucks West in ABQ. Open 7-days/week and may even cover the tow-bill if the problem is covered by GM warranty.
Their number is 505-843-7703.

You can also save a few bucks by moving your RV to El Rancho RV/MH Park, at the corner of Wyoming and Zuni (just outside Kirkland AFB Gate), for only $25.00/night, and if need be, I can come move the RV for you, or take you around town to get your business with the truck done, etc. (no charge).

Been there...done that...I owe more favors than I can give, so don't worry about a thing, we can take care of you during this crisis, and get you on your way as soon as possible.

FOR OTHERS ON THE FORUM: This is an open invitation to all DP members. If you get stuck in Albuquerque (or need to share chips, beer and play cards), feel free to PM me. I'll do my best to get you off the side of the road (or out of traffic), connect you with locals that can get you fixed quickly, or tow your load for you to a safe (inexpensive) place while you get your equipment fixed.

RF
:cool2:

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the PM and thanks for the offer! I was really feeling like I was going to be stuck. Maybe still am....I'll know after I talk to Chevy tomorrow. I'll give you a call if it looks like the dealer is going to fall through. Thanks again, Jerry

·
Registered
322 Posts
If asked about the missing cat, you may want to tell them that this has been a short term, intermittent problem, and you temporarily removed it to help troubleshoot. Since it was running fine, you took off on vacation. Now after removing the cat and replacing the filter, you knew it was time to stop guessing and take it to the pros. Good luck!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mods

It seems like almost all the guys who run Modifications on there rigs have problems?? Is it me or are we destroying the trucks by doing things they never were designed for?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, it is NOT the mods that are the problems. At least in my case. Injector wire harness is shorted out. Vibration is the problem and is a common occurance according to the GM dealer. Other than that, I don't imagine there are anymore problems if you are modded compared to being stock. If you use your head. I upped the boost to 32 PSI. Keeps the EGT's cooler and is probably one of the best mods out there in my opinion. Added the Edge because a stock Kodiak doesn't have enough power to get itself out of its own way....let alone pull a large camper. 'Big truck with a little truck motor.' IF you are an idiot, and don't know the limits of what the components will handle, yep, you are gonna break your truck...stock or modded. You can just do it easier with a modded truck.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, many thanks to 03 Radio Flyer for giving me a lift from the dealership. Not too many people will take time out from their day to give someone a hand. People like you are few and far between. Thanks again!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Glad to hear you got it solved. Hopefully you'll be on the road again soon. I'm keeping a list of all the "might happens" for our rig. I had the intercooler hose blow off on the 2500HD this weekend pulling the grade and if I hadn't read about it on the boards I would never have figured out what it was. 15 min fix and back on the road.

What are your thoughts on running the boost stick by itself on the Kodiak? Or does it also need the Edge?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that in a towing situation, where the EGT's start getting over 1250 degrees, it is real deal! I would start creeping up on 1250 and roll in some throttle to boost it to 30+ LBS and the EGT's would actually drop!! I kid you not. I need to get my video camera for some proof. Before the Booststick, I could hit 1300 easy and presumably higher if I was to keep pouring the coal to it. Definately a must for towing in my book.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think that in a towing situation, where the EGT's start getting over 1250 degrees, it is real deal! I would start creeping up on 1250 and roll in some throttle to boost it to 30+ LBS and the EGT's would actually drop!! I kid you not. I need to get my video camera for some proof. Before the Booststick, I could hit 1300 easy and presumably higher if I was to keep pouring the coal to it. Definately a must for towing in my book.
Thanks that's the info I needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts