Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can find some info on converting my 5500 Motorhome to 4WD? I live in So. Cal and the only place I know that does it for sure is Monroe. Obviously I would prefer something a little closer!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I couldn't find any info either. Few have done it as it is involved ( read=expensive) . So I went into it blind thinking it shouldn't be too hard. It turned out to be a PITA!
I have heard shops charge an arm and a leg for doing conversion.
I have a 4x4 c5500 dump truck that I sourced parts from and I wanted it to be a factory like conversion, with dash switch and all other needed components swaped over. Having all components sitting next to truck was nice and made it easier but I would recomend that if your not wanting to spend a week in the shop you should leave it to the pros.

Frame isn't pre drilled for transfer case mounts, front axle needs different steering components, re-routing of exhaust to clear transfer case, axle perches are wider on 4x4 needing different shackle mounts on one side, transfer case wiring not prewired either in dash nor frame, lockout control module under dash required , new rear drive shaft, and a whole lot of time tracing and running wires to make everything work....

I wouldn't do it again. Would rather source a new truck. However as yours is an RV, converting may be your only choice.

Hope I didn't discourage you, just wanted to give you my personal perspective on work involved.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just finished converting my 2006 Dutchman 35B to 4x4. Everything mentioned above is true. I had a donor cab and chassis 4x4 that I took parts from and put 2wd parts onto. After 3 trips so far all is great. Used the 4wd on 2 occasions so far. Nothing drastic of course with a motorhome, but used for extra traction shore launching boat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If your truck ain't that heavy throw a Dana 60 or GM 3500 front end under it. I would throw rockwells under mine for the hell of it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If your truck ain't that heavy throw a Dana 60 or GM 3500 front end under it. I would throw rockwells under mine for the hell of it.
i have a set of steer 5ton rockwells and 52" michelins to go under mine. it will be a bit before the project is started. working out disc brakes and some suspension ideas. maybe next year....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just finished converting my 2006 Dutchman 35B to 4x4. Everything mentioned above is true. I had a donor cab and chassis 4x4 that I took parts from and put 2wd parts onto. After 3 trips so far all is great. Used the 4wd on 2 occasions so far. Nothing drastic of course with a motorhome, but used for extra traction shore launching boat.
Hi, i have a 2007 Dutchman 32B and was wanting to convert to 4 x 4 and was wondering if you could give me some fine detail on the what is all involved in the wiring or the hardest parts of the install? Was wheel speed sensors an issue at all? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Anymore info on this. I also have a Super C that im looking to do a 4x4 conversion

1 - 9 of 9 Posts