Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm on my forth switch now and it's getting out of hand. I really enjoy wheeling and on most trails I encounter water and mud.

I was thinking of taking some wheel bearing grease and smothering the entire switch with it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Do you know how/where the water is getting in? Maybe a tube of silicone sealant and a small paint brush. Later! Frank

·
Registered
704 Posts
Dilectric grease (hope I spelled that right)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish I knew where the water was coming in. Probably leaking through the rubber boots at the connections. It could also be the casing(sp) iself. I'll get some dielectric grease today and see how it holds up. Thanks. Nick

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I'm on my 3rd nsbu switch, and i don't even take the truck offroading through mud or water holes like your pic. My first one went in the middle of the summer and the other one was in the winter while plowing. I can maybe handle the one that went due to snow packed underneath of the truck when plowing, but my thoughts would be if i ever took the truck through water and the nsbu was submersed, guaranteed it would be hosed. Of coarse after the last one went, i bought a spare to have in the truck at alll times, and of coarse since i have a spare it hasn't done it again. The original was the black one and the next two have been the supposably new and inproved tan ones.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
did you make it thru the ice/water pit in the pic?

·
Registered
84 Posts
What is a nsbu switch?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I remember Hoot saying something about a new and improved NSBU coming out. I should give Allison a call and see what they say.

I also had an NSBU switch go out on me while plowing at 3:00am. I really needed the truck to finish opening up my places. I had no choice but to go to my dealer, get under one of the trucks they had on the lot and take the switch off. I went to the dealer when they opened at 7am and told them what I did. To my surprise they laughed and said not to worry about it. I paid them and was on my way.

As for the water hole, I made it but three days later the switch went out again.

NSBU= Neutrel Safety Back Up Switch. Nick

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is this something with just eh Alli tranny? I have went through holes deeper than that with out problems numerous times.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
duramaxdiesel- That hularious, if i would have tried that here i'm pretty sure i'd be sharin a cell with BUBBA.
I had the same thing happen to me when plowing. Late Sat. night and nothing open and nsbu went out. I plowed another 12+hours while stuck in third gear. Can you say ouch, the tranny temps were in the red for 12+hours. Changed the nsbu Monday when everything opened and i could get a switch. That won't happen again with the spare in the back compartment.

·
Registered
509 Posts
How do you know it's gone bad? Symptoms? I assume they are fairly easy to change? Edited by: Oldman

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oldman said:
How do you know it's gone bad? Symptoms? I assume they are fairly easy to change?

The PRNDL display is flashing or blank

The engine will not start.

The "Service Engine Soon" Indicator lamp is illuminated.

The transmission does not shift properly.

The vehicle will not move, transmission will not engage or slams into gear.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I have had Allison people tell me how to make them virtually leak proof, but it took him a while to explain it as I was laughing, but you know... it could work...

Anybody interested in such a thing?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Eric- I'm up for a good laugh. Hell i might even humour myself and try it.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
Well, I have to source a small air pump.....

Aquarium store battery operated air pump ....

But what I'm thinking is a place a home for that Mega out gassing trapped air .... Put a airball in line, plum it down to the NSBU to a new found barb on the new NSBU.... Collect and when needed in deep puddles open the spicket and blow bubbles (Not the Clown) ... No lift pump required ....

Mac

Edited by: Mackin

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
MAC you're bad..

So that's what that little port is for.

To the guys that don't know what it is.. it's the big black switch on the side of the Allison that the shift cable attaches to. It's a big rotating switch assy that sends signals to the Allison computer (TCM) and the truck computer (ECM) so they know what you did with the shifter.

When they go bad they make you think your truck has a major transmission problem. A new switch from Allison is $46 and they are pretty easy to install yourself.

I haven't changed mine yet.

If someone is going to change there's it would be cool if they took some good pics of the procedure and we couild put and FYI article up.

That's the switch on the upper right...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to this forum and it has saved me lots of dollars and time great job! I recently changed mine and one thing I found is use a heat gun gently on your connectors as they are in there with some type of glue or sealant and warming them made them come off much easier and the same went for assembly. And when I pulled the switch off it just desentegrated the plastic was so brittle, it didnt come off all together. Anyway if it wasnt for this forum I would not have even known what my problem was so thanks again guys.

Jerry,Rhome,TX

1 - 19 of 19 Posts