Diesel Place banner

41 - 60 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
running noises are a bastard to find....you break it good, it's simple ):h
Come on tophog, you know you want to see Ben "mount" your motor too...:D
As far as the tensioner goes, I doubt it's the cause of your noise, but its simple to check...and are you trying to tell me you can't read the belt diagram on the fan shroud?? Ask your neighbor to come help you, he probably will just so he doesn't have to watch you climb all over the truck anymore ):h

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
i feel for you tophog:

problems like that drive me nuts, till they are figured out, good or bad...

i did have a slight knock a while ago but was only while driving, very hard to find, ended up being the transfercase, replaced now and all is ok again, it was as well very frustrating

but your saying it occours while parked as well...

and no smoke when cold, to me takes out the bent rod idea, but to make it a peice of mind, pull the #8glow plug and do a compression test, tell the story in a hurry

maybe do a complete compression test then, it is much eaiser to fix a bent rod now then to do it after the block is gone

you can also shut off each injector with a techII, to elminate injector knock, are your actual and desired fuel pressures bouncing around with the knock

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
It is definately driving me nuts. Has been for 3+ months now and I want to think it's getting worse. It does NOT knock in Park or Reverse. It knocks when in "Any" gear if under acceleration OR stopped with foot on brake. If in gear and I let off throttle knock goes away, or it seems ...until I come to stop and apply brake. This is the frustrating part ...with hood raised I can see the motor tweak slightly to the PS side when I put it in gear ...and immediately hear the knock. Take it out of gear and knock is not noticable any more ...not to say it's not there but I can't hear it when not in gear.

No smoke when cold, warm, etc. I think Max Payne would bet his wife it is not injector related...since he just changed them less then 5K miles ago. I don't have a tech II so I don't know about fuel pressures, etc.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
We will fix it, it is just the 4 hour drive that sucks.
If I bet the wife, and I lose, does that mean you will keep her?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Motor Mount ????

Engine shifts under load, torques the driveline in a different way in reverse ??? or no ????

Maybe ????
I thought about that also but motor doesn't really shake/vibrate ...

Like I said before ...it's had this knock for quite a while now ...probably at least mid/late summer and I have just ignored it. Perhaps the cold weather has magnified the problem, I'm not sure but it's finally got me down and I don't even want to drive it ...not knowing if it could puke a rod tomorrow or go 200,000 or more. It's the uncertainty of it that's the worst. I definately won't be exercising the new turbo legs until it's fixed. I woke up this morning thinking about it ... -:t

Ben, when I do make the drive down there again (hopefully as soon as you can get me in) you better have your ground-out hat on because I thinks it's engine related.

Is it fixed yet? Is it fixed yet? Is it fixed yet?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I think your stomach was growling? Couldn't really get a good feel for it there, but it was worth a try.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I can certainly tell the diference between neutral and drive. I hope its nothing serious.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I meant to say, I can hear it, but nothing jumps out at me. Gawd I want to get my hands on this truck...

·
Registered
28 Posts
TopHog, I know this may sound stupid but, I had the exact same symptoms you are haveing after I swithced to synthetic oil. I ran the synthetic over 2000 miles and the hole time it was knocking. I just went back to regular oil "15w-40" and my knock has went away.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
TopHog, I know this may sound stupid but, I had the exact same symptoms you are haveing after I swithced to synthetic oil. I ran the synthetic over 2000 miles and the hole time it was knocking. I just went back to regular oil "15w-40" and my knock has went away.
Not stupid but I've already covered that base as well. I've run Chevron Delo 400 for the last year ...and just recently switched to Mobil 1 Truck/SUV synthetic (aka Delvac) ...with no change in noise at all. My knock is a knock where when people ride with me they ask ..."what is that knock"?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I had really audible knock in mine (maybe more like a tick) on my passenger side ( could really hear it with a screwdriver on the valve cover) that was consistent with RPM. Turned out to be a bad/misaligned rocker bridge. Good luck.:)

Josh

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I washed the truck today thinking it would self-heal. No dice. I listened to it outside today since it was nice. I've found it can hear more noise outside the truck when it's outside vice in the garage where I think a lot of the engine noise is echoed.

Here's my latest observations. When in neutral I can rev up the motor and it's as smooth as silk ...and sounds normal. No knocking, rapping, etc. Sounds like it did when it was new. But as soon as I put it in gear the knock is back immediately.

I think I can hear a metallic, pulsating like knock near the PS fenderwell and under the truck on the PS side.

Question: Is there any possibility there is something in the tranny causing this problem!? Torque converter? Loose bolts? I know I've asked this before but it would make sense. Truck knocks when only in gear ... It just doesn't make any sense to me why the engine appears fine in Park/Neutral but the knock is there under load. To me if it was the engine it would do it all the time and it could be heard in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
It could be the loose bolts as that is where the sheild by the starter or under th starter is and when they took mine off the noise trippled in sound, it really could be tourque converter bolts especially after i heard it.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Someone tell me if this looks right or not. I took some video of the TQ going round/round ... I can flex it about 1/8-1/4" with a big screw driver but wasn't sure if this is normal or not. It looks like it's out of round or something ...perhaps loose ...or not? I also notice when the truck is in park or neutral there is a very noticable thrashing noise comiig from the tq converter area...very noticable and goes away as soon as the truck is put in gear ...but then I hear the damn knock inside the cab. I can hear the thrashing like noise 10 feet from the truck ...but did notice when I put on the stainless steel inspection plate it made it quieter but still noticable.

I think if you listen closely in the video you can hear the knock in the background ...but I am still unsure where it's coming from. Today I disconnected exhaust and 4-bolt flange to rule that out ...also remove serpentine belt ...neither made any difference whatsoever.

These videos are about 1.5-3MB so be patient.

note, the first clip below 'tq_3.avi' is with the truck in gear. Ironicially I think the metallic knock noise is much more noticable then the 2nd video clip with the truck in park.

http://home.comcast.net/~tophog/tq_3.avi

http://home.comcast.net/~tophog/tq1.avi

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
The TC looks a little weird, like it's out of round or something.

Did you change anything in the trannyand then the noise appeared ???

You could pull the starter and check the TC bolts, or maybe you have a flexplate on the way out, Juice has gone through a few........:eek:
Hope you figure it out

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I have done nothing to the tranny since having it installed about 8 months ago ...except for summer abuse at the track and dynos. It's a SC5 so if anything is wrong it should be covered. The shop that installed it is about 2miles from me...guess I'll see what Joe thinks ...

41 - 60 of 175 Posts