Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my 6.5 for about 2 years. In that time it has made a soft spot in my heart....It has always been good to me, untill the other day it decided to rain all over my praid. I went out to start my truck(still a bit warm) as soon as it was running i new it was bad. It was the all to well known rod knock. i want to keep the truck but ive heard that the 6.5L is knidaa pricey engine to replace. id like to hear some of you folks opinions on what i should do. thanks in add. Bryan

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Rebuild it. It's one of the cheaper diesels to work on.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i want to keep the truck but ive heard that the 6.5L is knidaa pricey engine to replace.
Pricey compared to what? Compared to a 350 gasser, it is expensive because its a diesel (diesels are always more expensive). But, compared to virtually any other diesel of it its size and power, 6.5's are cheap to replace. Cummins, DuraMax, Navistar/Ford powerstrokes, etc., are all far more expensive to replace.

I would budget $5k to $8k for a replacement 6.5. $8k can buy a Peninsular 6.5L, with a few upgrades, which is a great engine.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Start the engine, loosen each injector connection one at a time, determine which cylinder is noisy.

Swap an injector from another cylinder into the noisy location - if it's a bad inj, the noise will move with the inj.

If it's a bad cylinder, it won't.

Pull the pan, inspect the lower end, also noting what kinda stuff is in the oil pan sump.

Check for varicose cracks in #2-3-4 mains webbing.

Check for broken crank between #1-2 mains, also at #5 main.

Look for cracked piston

If all looks good, but bad bearing, rebuild - easiest is replace crank and bearings, with engine still in truck..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice.i guess cost is all relative, thats kinda about the price i was thinking. ive just gotta save a few bucks now. I also will pull the pan, check the injectors.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
How bad a knock, for grins check the turbo heat shield, start it and before it gets too hot place your hand on the shield and see if the knock goes away, a loose shield makes an awful racket, also loose injector line clamps make some odd noises. Is racket with cold oil, and sound lessens with engine coming up to operating temp? Wintertime operation requires fully warmed engine before considering rod knock to be the culprit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts