Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around last fall I went to ohio on a camping trip with my buddy and his family. I live in maryland and on my way out my brother and I heard a light knock sound. We thought it was the CD in the radio so I backed the song up and then we didnt hear it. Then we heard the worst sound come from the engine
. The knock followed the beat of the engine but, very loud. I looked out my mirrior and the cars on my right slowed down because they couldn't see. White smoke poured out of the tail pipe and I pulled off the first exit
. I called onstar and they ran a engine check and it came up good. So up the road we went and bam the noise was back
. I had to pull over again and found a truck stop. After dumping a bottle of fuel additive in it, it never made the noise again. When i made it home I called the dealer and he told me it must have been a small piece of dirt in one of the injectors and that the bottle of additive lubercated and cleaned it out. He said I did no damage and it would be ok
. Could that one case be a early sign of the famous injector failer? My truck is a 02 D/A 3500.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Definitely an injector, I would say .... White smoke is unburned fuel ... I had a similar experience but the opposite closed, never did it again either .... Your dealer should have (not to late) checked for any codes and balance rate of your injectors ... One or more could be out of spec ... At least get it documented ...

Have you conceder a secondary filtering to 2um ?? The OEM Racor has been discovered to be less then adequate in removing the most harmful size particles 5um and up from our fuel system ... This will help in injector, and pump longevity .. There are a few different set-ups available ..

Mac

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Yup, for sure an injector. Quit running the additive and get it in when its starts gettin goofy again, the additive has a tendancy to mask trouble and can make them go unoticed. Or it can prevent future problems, but since you had one, it may reappear. Get it documented like Mac said to cover your butt. I do think that if it acted up once, its gonna do it again.

·
Registered
217 Posts
dmaxalliTech,

Your advice to stop running the additive raises a question....I run FPPF in every tank. Should I occasionally run a tank without addtive to "check for masked trouble"?

John

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
John, it will take more then one tank of not running it. Local guy had issues and quite running additive, took about 3 months for problem to reoccur, we caught it under warr and persuaded gm to replace all 8 injectors for him. Leave it on the shelf, forget about it for awhile. FPPF is good stuff

·
Registered
217 Posts
OK, guess I am looking for a little more clarification about leaving it on the shelf. I do not have any problems that I know of. Have run additive since day one. I thought additive was a good thing to run in every tank. Yes/No/Maybe? I am confused.

John

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
WOOPS I got the two of you confused, John, keep using it. I didnt relize I had two people here, I didnt pay atttention to the names

Go ahead and stick with it if you have used it all along. Its the ones that start using it after a problem develops that I worry about. Get the problem fixed and then use it. Sorry about the confusion

·
Registered
365 Posts
BennyBoy,

Identical thing happened to me when the truck had less than 5,000 miles on it. I could not find the problem, used addative and just kept running.

Major injector problems after I went over 100,000 miles. Wish I had Dmaxallitech to give me advice back then. Listen to him.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Guys excuse my ignorance on this one but what is FPPF? What is its purpose and where can it be purchased at. I have a new diesel and since it is my first one I am behind the learning curve in this area. Thanks in advance for the information. Edited by: JIMPRU

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
JIMPRU said:
Guys excuse my ignorance on this one but what is FPPF? What is its purpose and where can it be purchased at. I have a new diesel and since it is my first one I am behind the learning curve in this area. Thanks in advance for the information.

Its a fuel additive, do a search on fuel additive, you will find a lot of info.

http://www.fppf.com

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ok, time for another dumb question. What is the difference in Primrose and FPPF? Is it only the water emulsifier vs. lubricant in FPPF? thanks for the help

·
Registered
183 Posts
Captainmal

How many hours did you have when you hit 100,000 miles and injector problems.Just wondering

1 - 12 of 12 Posts