Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day I was riding around some trails on my friends farm, and got to a really soft bottom. My truck sank, I tired to winch it out and the cable just snapped. I don't know if you know what a Komatsu WA-250 loader is but its a big piece of construction equipment similar to a skidder but with a front end bucket used to haul around rocks and dirt, but we had to use one of those to pull my truck out, and the loader was spinning ridiculously so we had to steer it side to side just to get my truck out. I know where I'm never taking my truck again

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
WAs your truck suctioned to the mud? I have seen it wheeling a few times. If the mud is up the the frame it tends to create a suction effect on the truck and makes it incredibly hard to move. Did the winch cable hurt anyone when it snapped?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seeing a winch cable snap and go flying is quite a site, hearing the cable break and whipping through the trees not knowing where its going is down right scary! Been there, it's very dangerous. Hope it didn't hurt anything or anyone.

Jeffrey

·
Registered
89 Posts
What size was the cable? Was it a winch pulling it before the loader?

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Get a master pull replacement rope. Very nice and stronger than the cable

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I busted a winch cable once trying to get a thunderbird out of a ditch in New Mexico...Cable snapped and came straight back into my windshield...needless to say that windshield quit doing it's job and had to be replaced. Had to buy a new winch cable too. Guess that ford just couldn't stand the thought of being rescued by a bowtie.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Get a master pull replacement rope. Very nice and stronger than the cable
And they won't rip your gloves or hands apart like a well used cable will. The ropes are very nice and not too expensive either.

Jeffrey

·
Registered
329 Posts
We always put a sandbag about midpoint down the winch line... if and when it breaks, it can help keep the line down... not always, but it's better than a bare line...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it didnt hurt anyone thank god, the guy who wrapped the cable around the tree luckily made the decision to walk back over to the truck, but it snapped pretty good and we took the chain out of my winch kit and hooked it to the loader and the loader was spinning trying to pull me out. But yea I'm pretty sure the truck was bottomed out it was a really, really soft bottom i think it used to be a swamp back in the day. We rode four wheelers back there about 8 months ago and it is very soft, i had my rincon in 4x4 with brand new titan 589's on their first ride, and i was pretty much spinning all over the place.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh yea the place I went to get my winch cable, i asked about the Warn synthetic rope, and they said they can't even get it yet and that is was gonna be about $400-$500, so i settled for the $130 cable since I'm trying to save up for the tranny upgrade.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh and another little side story, the WA-250 that pulled us out got stuck a few weeks ago near the same spot. There is a river running along the side of that bottom and my friend was in the river on the WA-250 trying to dig ruts into the bottom to make a mudhole. He got the 250 stuck and then tried to winch it out with the 9000 lb on his truck (yea like that would pull a 40,000 lb machine out) so they had to pull it out with a Hitachi EX-200 track hoe.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
A good heavy jacket or a blanket will do alot to slow a broken cable down.Just throw it on top towards the middle of the cable.This is more of a must than a suggestion.Good thing noone was hurt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.