Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He was in a new hemi slt, and my girlfreind noticed his licence plate "helihemi". She told me it looks like he wants to race you, i was a little sceptical because it has always been my assumption that older gentelmen do not race. I slowed down in hopes of catching the red light, when i did he changed lanes and pulled up beside me, as the car that was beside me went to the turning lane. We caught the light, sitting there i noticed his exhaust burble, various piller mounted gauges, and a some acronym of a motorsports sticker. While i was gazing at his truck he took off, so needless to say i didnt get any sort of a boosted launch, but it didnt matter. Within about a second, with my ppe/edge on 1/1 he was toast.

Hey just a question, my g/f brother has a wrx sti , and from what i know those cars are beasts off the line, would i stand a chance from a rolling slower speed start like lets say 15-20 mph.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Nice kill! And even better when they try to get an early jump and you get to blow right by them. Not sure about the subaru, but I heard they are pretty fast. Find one and let us know. Jerry.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
great kill. I love it when those hemi guys think they're all that and a bag of doritos. Heck, at the track this weekend 2 hemi's with heads/cam etc/etc can only run 14 flat w/o nitrous. And on higher octane fuel.
GREAT KILL

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Sweet, you could stand a chance with the wrx, I kept up with one going up a hill (he was trying to pass) I was only on 2/3 on the edge, and I dont have any tranny mods.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My roomate has an '04 STi and it is quick. They're definately faster from a stop then they are rolling but it would be a good race. Maybe i need to get him out of bed and line up to see....

·
Registered
267 Posts
With your tighter trans, from a roll I bet you could keep up with the WRX, my little brother had a 04' WRX and it was pretty quick, once it builds boost it pulls pretty strong. From a dig I would say he would take you (providing he can drive), with the jump he would get on you, you might not be able to catch up. If my memory serves me right, STi's run high 13's stock and a whole lot faster with minimal mods, like the DMAX. But I would still want the bragging rights of a smokin' fast (no pun intended) 7000+ lb truck.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
well from a roll the neon STR-4 keeps up with the STI. i raced a srt4 from about a 30 roll the other day and beat him..he got the jump but was then could only get to my drivers side door...i love the OH $hit look on there faces when that happens.
robert

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hhhmmm. Im thinkin of gettin it on camera, jst in case i win. I guess ill go for it. ill race him off the line too, jst for fun.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I raced an STi from a roll of about 50 on up to the sped limiter merging on to the interstate and I was pulling him until I ran out of speed. He then proceeded to pull up next to me shaking his head as if he wasn't even trying? I stomped it again and again pulled him so I'm not quite sure what that was all about. Take 'em from a roll and you more than likely got it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice kill I had a similar encounter with a reg cab hemi it had a YEAH ITS GOT A HEMI sticker and a BEWARE OF PARACHUTE sticker dual exhaust and he started with me I slipped it into 4x4 and left it in the low setting on the chip he was edging more and more foot braking it so I foot braked it to about 1600 rpm and when the light changed I got a nice squeel from all four and was gone the next light he came up next to me and wouldn't even look at me .

·
Registered
22 Posts
i'm sorry to say that if the the person in the sti is any good at all, you don't really stand a chance. my friend used to have an 04 with no extra mods, and i drove it a few times. it is real fast off the line, and, like any turbo'd vehicle, gets that extra boost when it kicks in. im pretty sure he would pull on you the whole way, even from a roll. just my .02

·
Registered
471 Posts
I ahd an opportunity to race an 04 sti that was stock in Sparta near London Ontario and I ran a 13.55 and he ran a 13.69 in a quarter. He was surprised and then told me his personal best was 13.3, he says that he does not do that too often because it is too hard on his car. He was ok to talk to and was believable.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
STI's w/ a good driver (and in good conditions at a descent altitude) will run in the LOW 13's @ about 105, so it will take a real strong Dmax to take one IMO.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hemi

:muahaha: Last summer I was coming back from a camping trip to Cascade, Idaho.I was pulling my trailer(21 foot self contained), truck(5.7L gasser) fully loaded with gear and 5 poeple. Came upon a hemi towing close to same style and size camper going up a hill.End of the story is I beat him up the hill by a trailer length. Can't wait to do a repeat with my 6.5 turbo D!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah i wont be racing him. he's got about 200 hp over stock. he took me around the street, and it would be a waste of my time, or more or less his time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:grd:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I work at a Subaru dealer and I would have to say that a STI would take a D-max. I think it would be a good race with a stock WRX it has about 220HP'ish horse power stock. We have also gotten a lot of WRX owner that launched to hard in first gear and riped all the gears of the spline of first gear. Then the fun part happens when we tell them that it is not warrenty because they where racing, so we might not be able to beat a WRX in a race but we will be able to drive home.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
why do they have ot be racing to do that to the trans could have just been driving and decided to get on it and it broke so it should be covered if you have no proof they raced it

·
Registered
38 Posts
It usally happens when they rev it up and launch, because it is all=wheeldrive it won't just burn out. It just rips all the gears off first gear insted. The STI has a 6 speed that is alot better, and haven't seen any problems with it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.