Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard would it be to install a keypad entry like the fords have?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have thought about that myself. would be nice for the times you are in the yard and need to get something out of truck without going inside to get the key.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeap. I need to find out how the keypad actully works. What kind of signal it uses to open the locks. Need to find out if its tied into the door locks or if it has a seperated actuator.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
When I had my Furd for 4 months before I wised up, I looked at those. Talked with the stealer and was told that they are just a stickon fancy key fob with the code buttons. Uses the same system as the remote entry.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All we should have to do is get one and get it programed to our frequency

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Have at it then, and post pics....

someone has to be the guinea pig.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
All we should have to do is get one and get it programed to our frequency
It won't be that simple unfortunately.

I am surprised no one makes such a thing yet since it would follow across the whole GM platform fairly well.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
uuummm dont like the looks of those. Stuff has gotten so complex. Remember when a switch was a switch and that was it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yes, I wish someone would figure this out. I have driven Fords for a long time before I took the GMC plunge and really miss the keypad. I did some research and the one in the link above seems cheesy. There is also a product out there like the clapper. You record a certain beat on the glass and it picks this up and unlocks the driver door. Also, kind of cheesy... A Ford keypad would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Why not just put something in the where the defroster is at. like a button or something like that? olny you would know what it is

·
Registered
16,610 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was kidding. why not just keep your keys in your pocket? I never take my key out of the truck when im home anyways. The reason I wanted a keypad was so if I was on the road and someone needed something in my truck I could tell them the code. a button would work great but its to simple for my taste.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Why not somthing simple like the code 1234 on the keypad sends a negative pulse and 5678 sends a positive pulse,

It would be a 4 wire hook up, 12V+, ground, Unlock wire, Lock Wire......
Simple Right........

OH on the underside of the door handle!!!, Totally unoticable.
PATENT PENDING!!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats sounds good jazman. The thing about it is I dont know how the keypads actully owrk. Do they send a signal to a locking module? or is it all part of the keypad and its as simple as the keypad sends a negitive or a positive signal?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Not sure, Never owned a Ford. I'm thinkin my design will have a fingerprint reader rather than buttons and the wrong finger and you get zapped.

PATENT PENDING

·
Registered
897 Posts
you know actually that fingerprint idea may work. You can buy them built on locks at hardware stores. I wonder how hard it would be to modify the reader off one of those to the unlock switch. Only thing would be having to come up with a decent way to mount it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
It might be tough to keep clean,hmmm

To the drawing board

·
Registered
564 Posts
Can be that hard. I don't know where you could put it though? I would kinda sux b/c you would be the only person that could use it?

you know actually that fingerprint idea may work. You can buy them built on locks at hardware stores. I wonder how hard it would be to modify the reader off one of those to the unlock switch. Only thing would be having to come up with a decent way to mount it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts