Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a replacement keyles entry remote for my wife's 02 GMC Safari van and there are some on ebay. Is it possible for me to program one myself or must I take it to a dealer to have it done. If I can program it myself, where can I locate the instructions. The remote has this number on it: 15043458

Thanks!

2DAMAX

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Yes it is, just follow the instructions in the manual, or the service guy can tell you how to do it. Very simple, just have to hold the buttons down and then some sequence and you are done. It is in the manual...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Match the part number on the back. Even if they are different it may still work. The only way to know for sure is to try. This is the procedure for 01.
<H1>Transmitter Programming</H1>

<H4>Important</H4>

All transmitters which are to be recognized by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to four transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.

You may program up to 4 transmitters, using either of the two following procedures:
  1. Transmitter Programming Procedure (Method 1 - No Tools Required)
    <LI =1>Close all the vehicle doors.
    <LI =1>Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
    <LI =1>Press and hold the door unlock switch.
    <LI =1>While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
    <LI =1>Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
    <LI =1>Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
    <LI =1>Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
    <LI =1>Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
    <LI =1>Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation. </LI>
  1. Transmitter Programming Procedure (Method 2 - Scan Tool Required)
    <LI =1>Install a scan tool.
    <LI =1>Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF.
    <LI =1>Use the scan tool in order to access the Body Control Module (BCM) Special Function: Program Key Fobs menu.
    <LI =1>Follow the directions on the scan tool in order to program the transmitters.
    <LI =1>Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation. </LI>

< name=bottomNav>
<HR>

</>

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GMCSID said:
Match the part number on the back. Even if they are different it may still work. The only way to know for sure is to try. This is the procedure for 01.
<H1>Transmitter Programming</H1>

<H4>Important</H4>

All transmitters which are to be recognized by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to four transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.

You may program up to 4 transmitters, using either of the two following procedures:
  1. Transmitter Programming Procedure (Method 1 - No Tools Required)
    <LI ="1">Close all the vehicle doors.
    <LI ="1">Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
    <LI ="1">Press and hold the door unlock switch.
    <LI ="1">While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
    <LI ="1">Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
    <LI ="1">Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
    <LI ="1">Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
    <LI ="1">Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
    <LI ="1">Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation. </LI>
  1. Transmitter Programming Procedure (Method 2 - Scan Tool Required)
    <LI ="1">Install a scan tool.
    <LI ="1">Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF.
    <LI ="1">Use the scan tool in order to access the Body Control Module (BCM) Special Function: Program Key Fobs menu.
    <LI ="1">Follow the directions on the scan tool in order to program the transmitters.
    <LI ="1">Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation. </LI>

< name=bottomNav>
<HR>

</>

GMCSID,

Thanks for your replies. Do I understand correctly, these 2 methods will work for the 01 but not my 02 Safari? Is my only option the tech 2??

My local dealer will program for $35 which doesn't seem too bad unless I can do it myself with a method like you describe here.

·
Registered
473 Posts
On my 03 the dealer did something with the DIC to program a new remote, the first one went bad, and had to be replaced. He got in and closed the doors and did something with the DIC and the remote, he never had the Tech II with him.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had to replace one of the 2 remote keyless transmitters on my '03 Buick Rendezvous. The replacement transmitter was $40 and the dealer had to use a Tech II. The dealer had to have all transmitters for the Buick in order to reprogram for the new one. The dealer did not charge any Tech II/reprogramming fee.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried the procedure for the 01 before taking in to the dealer and guess what, it worked on my 02!!!
So I guess the dealer won't be getting the $35 afterall. I was able to purcahse 3 keyless remotes on ebay for a total out of pocket expense of $20. I'm now ready for my daughter to come for another visit, so far she has managed to lose 2, I for each of her last 2 visits. Now that I've got cheap spares she'll probably never lose another and that's fine with me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts