Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, This may be a stupid question, but I searched and found nothing. I took my truck back for an oil change last week. While I was there I asked him about Key FOB #1 and #2. The salesman told me they remember the driver and move the mirrors/seats/etc when the ignition is turned on to the memorized position for that driver. This was not happening and I could not find anything in the owners manual about it. I know there is the button on the door I can use, but it did not work by just using the key fob. Since my mom's Cadillac does this I figured I would ask. The service writer said it does, but he wasn't sure how. He said the salesman knew how to do it. Of course he couldn't locate one that knew how and I got tired of waiting.

Do the key fobs really remember the driver and adjust it all or do I just have to use the buttons on the door? If so how do you program them?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
in my moms tahoe i have to push the buttons on the door to get it to move

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
They got rid of that feature in 2004...

The 2005's and up dont have the feature to recall seat position regarding to which remote is used.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, good to know...maybe another dumb question....if this is the case....why still number the keyfobs???

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
cause theyre too cheap to change over manufacturing methods and NOT print the number? :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I bought a spare a while back off Ebay. Here are the instructions from it:

1. Close all vehicle doors.

2. Insert ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.

3. Press and hold the door unlock switch on the door panel.

4. While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF. (within 5 seconds).

5. Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.

6. Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approx. 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.

7. Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.

8. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.

9. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What model years does this work with? I have a 2000 chev, I just cant find time to get to the dealer.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Speaking of remotes...My wife drives a Yukon, and I have the truck, so we have TWO remotes on each key ring, and it's kind of a PITA. Is there any way "secret code" to program one remote to operate with both vehicles? Or do I have to buy a new remote with more functions?

Thanks-
-Curt

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
6. Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approx. 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.

How long do you hold the Lock/Unlock for? 15 seconds?
Mine does nothing after this point, but I think my BCM is bad.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've seen them take as much as 30 seconds to program. Other times it may take a few tries before they program.

Speaking of remotes...My wife drives a Yukon, and I have the truck, so we have TWO remotes on each key ring, and it's kind of a PITA. Is there any way "secret code" to program one remote to operate with both vehicles? Or do I have to buy a new remote with more functions?
The problem would be if they were parked close to each other, the remote would lock or unlock both at the same time. When you enter the programming, the existing remote id's are erased, then the module picks up the id from the remote being programmed. So, you should be able to program to one vehicle, then walk over and program the same remote to the next vehicle. I think it would be worth a try to see if it works.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The problem would be if they were parked close to each other, the remote would lock or unlock both at the same time. When you enter the programming, the existing remote id's are erased, then the module picks up the id from the remote being programmed. So, you should be able to program to one vehicle, then walk over and program the same remote to the next vehicle. I think it would be worth a try to see if it works.

Huh?!? So it is *actaully* programming the vehicle to the remote, and not the other way around? In that case it should work, but when they're both parked in the driveway theu would both unlock. Still, might be better than stuffing a key ring with 2 remotes in my pocket. Plus, I wouldn't be hitting the wrong one all the time.

Thanks for the tip.

-Curt

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
How long do you hold the Lock/Unlock for? 15 seconds?
Mine does nothing after this point, but I think my BCM is bad.
2003+ trucks have a completlely diffferent electrical system....id be willing to bet the keyfob learn procedure is different for the 2001-2002 trucks...

·
Registered
34 Posts
2003+ trucks have a completlely diffferent electrical system....id be willing to bet the keyfob learn procedure is different for the 2001-2002 trucks...
It has been the same on the Silverado since 1999, but some trucks are pretty touchy and may need the Tech II to program.

Huh?!? So it is *actaully* programming the vehicle to the remote, and not the other way around?
Yup. That's what I was trying to say, though I couldn't seem to find the right words to make it easy to understand.:)

·
Registered
367 Posts
The progrmming method presented above does not work on the Medium Duty Trucks (my 2005 C4500 Chevrolet).

Does anyone know how to program the Key FOBs on the MDT?????

·
Registered
34 Posts
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1492674&pubid=873&evc=sm&cellId=72804#tab6-1492674">Data Link Connector (DLC)

Connector Part Information
16-Way F Metri-Pack 150 Series (BK)​
Pin
Wire Color
Circuit No.
Function
--
--
Not Used
PU
DLC Class 2 Serial Data
--
--
Not Used
BK
Ground
BK/WH
Ground
TN/WH
High Speed GMLAN Serial Data+
TN/BK
SAE J1587 Serial Data Bus+ Primary
BK/WH
Keyless Entry Program Enable Signal
9-13
--
--
Not Used
TN
High Speed GMLAN Serial Data+
WH/BK
SAE J1587 Serial Data Bus- Primary
OG
Battery Positive Voltage

1. <LI type=1>Connect a jumper wire between the keyless entry program enable signal circuit of the data link connector and a good ground. <LI type=1>Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 10 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
    Important

Program additional transmitters within 1 minute of the previously programmed transmitter.

<LI type=1>Press and hold any button on the next transmitter to be programmed within 1 minute of the previously programmed transmitter. After a delay of approximately 2 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter. <LI type=1>Repeat the previous step to program up to 4 transmitters. <LI type=1>Remove the jumper wire from the data link connector in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
  2. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.
I think this will help you out, though I'm not sure it is for the correct truck.

·
Registered
367 Posts
KNIGHTKRQAWLER00

That's exactly what I needed.

Thanks

·
Registered
389 Posts
So all of 2003's trucks will work with this instructions?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts