Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at war with my key fob and am wondering if anyone else has popped theirs open and disabled the alarm button?

Doesn't matter if the thing is in my hand or in my pocket, about 2-3 times a week the alarm button gets touched and the alarm goes off.

Can anyone think of a reason not to do a lobotomy on the alarm button?

Thanks

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Would be VERY easy to do. Just open it up and put a piece of tap over the circuit board where the button would make contact. Wouldn't take you more then 30 seconds.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did exactly what Max Power described for the same reasons you mentioned. Has been disabled for at least a year, no problems, all other functions work fine.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I do the same thing. SOunds like a good idea to disable it. Why do we need that button anyway?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Coghlin said:
I do the same thing. SOunds like a good idea to disable it. Why do we need that button anyway?

In case someone is going to rape you

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you have the redundant steering wheel controls you may be able to disable the alarm or set it to flash the headlights lights only.

If you really want to do some hacking there might be some amusement value in tying the windshield washer to the alarm function. That way you can get a measure of satisfaction the next time you catch someone slipping a flyer under your windshield wiper.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I may do some research on blinking the headlights instead of the horn. I thought I was the only person that bumped the panic button 2 or 3 times a week. My wife has never did it. I know my neighbors do get tired of it. I had looked at the steering wheel controls but don't remember that as an option!!!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Thats a great idea.. Is there anything to look for popping out of the remote while taking it apart.....

Also, is the horn on a timer, cause without hearing you pushed the button, and just having the lights flash could be hard on the batteries. Let me know if you find the option.... i will look on my ride home....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No small parts inside of the key fob. Just pry it open and it is real easy to put a small piece of tape over the contacts for the alarm button. I didn't really look for the option to turn off the horn in the DIC, in case my wife want to use the alarm for some reason or another. She doesn't seem to have a problem setting it off by mistake.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Well it looks like DalDMax is correct about an option to turn off horn. On the DIC you can disable the horn, that only effects the alarm to let you know when you lock and unlock the doors. Guess the tape over the contacts for the panic button. By the way the Key Fob is water proof. My oldest son lost my keys while helping a neighbor on a backyard pond, well they found the keys and fob about 2 days later in the pond. No water had entered the inside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts