Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know just how much kero is needed to help with fuel probs? Just had to change fuel filter after 4k miles due to fuel starvation. Been using lots of power sys. additve.Has always been good in the past but just doesn`t seem to be right now. Temps. in the teen during day,singles to -zero at night.

P.S. Ben using 2 stroke also,about 1qt. to a tank. Truck runs and sound alot better when it is running right.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
ssm58;1595061; said:
Anyone know just how much kero is needed to help with fuel probs? Just had to change fuel filter after 4k miles due to fuel starvation. Been using lots of power sys. additve.Has always been good in the past but just doesn`t seem to be right now. Temps. in the teen during day,singles to -zero at night.

P.S. Ben using 2 stroke also,about 1qt. to a tank. Truck runs and sound alot better when it is running right.
Kero is very "dry" (no lubrication value) and you should use as little as possible. It's also more expensive than fuel per gallon and has lower btu content so it will reduce performance and mileage.

That all being said, GM used to recommend up to 25% kero in fuel for extreme cold weather use in the 6.2 and 6.5 engines. I haven't seen any recommendation for the DMax, but if you absolutely can't keep your fuel free, even with additives (are you using bio blend?) I'd recommend using only what you have to and probably no more than 10%

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I was RECOMMENDED by the dealer to put kero in my truck. Kept getting low rail pressure code. They kept blaming hte fuel and we kept puttning anti gel stuff in it to try to "thin it out" , truck is at the dealer for the 8th time now. I agree, its dry, costs more, and less btus (power and milage) use as little as possible.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I added about a gal. of kero last night and today it started to act up a little so I tried 911 to see if that helps. Probably got some bad fuel, I just want to burn through it,no sense addind more fuel to tank until I get through this, right?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I run alot of Jet A in my truck. It is alot like Kerosene only with different additives in it. I can get it for free and every now and then I stop and fill it with diesel at the pump. Jet is just as dry. I add 2 stroke oil and Stanadyne Performance and Lubricity Formulas to it. I have had almost 100% Jet A in the tank and I can't tell a difference. It doesn't really get cold here either. You won't have a problem with it gelling anywhere though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts