Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody here running custom tunes from kennedy(econo/race) for a stock tranny? what are your opinions? i just ordered mine and cant wait!!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I don't know much about his econo tune but his race tune is going to be too strong for your stock trans. Good luck

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I have run JK's tunes for about a year now. I mainly run the race tune, great drivability and street manners and I can manage 19+ mpg with the race tune if I keep speeds down and my foot out of it. You will need lift pumps and a built trans to support the full potential of his Race tune.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
RaceHemi;1577612; said:
if I keep speeds down and my foot out of it.
yeah but how easy is that??:D

I rode in Eric's truck running the KD tune and it was very smooth on the bottom, quiet, and a nice big top end

·
Registered
255 Posts
I only have a few miles on John's tunes, but I'm a happy customer. I ordered the econ and Tow tunes. I expected the econ tune to be a bit peppier than stock and the tow tune to feel really nice pulling a fully loaded trailer up hills. I had been running a TST Powermax on level 4. I was shocked when I discovered that I could burn the tires with the econ tune! I can't imagine what his race tune is like.

Overall the tunes are very smooth. Power comes on very quickly and the low RPM response and power is what I wanted.

John delivers again!

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
stroke250;1577204; said:
anybody here running custom tunes from kennedy(econo/race) for a stock tranny? what are your opinions? i just ordered mine and cant wait!!
Unless we got our wires crossed, you have the non race tuning coming that should be OK on the stock trans. No biggie, we can always upgrade as the need arises...

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
DmaxCC6spd;1577857; said:
I only have a few miles on John's tunes, but I'm a happy customer. I ordered the econ and Tow tunes. I expected the econ tune to be a bit peppier than stock and the tow tune to feel really nice pulling a fully loaded trailer up hills. I had been running a TST Powermax on level 4. I was shocked when I discovered that I could burn the tires with the econ tune! I can't imagine what his race tune is like.

Overall the tunes are very smooth. Power comes on very quickly and the low RPM response and power is what I wanted.

John delivers again!
Actually, it's only 50HP gain at 3100 RPM and 100HP gain at 3100 RPM. Peak HP still builds beyond 3100. The 100HP tune has been set up to deliver flat TQ curve at just over 600 lb/ft. If you'd lik ethe economy tune tamed down a bit I can do so. It has a nice TQ curve that tends to get a bit more aggressive at about 2400-2600 RPM.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have been thinking about the economy/tow tune as well. I pull a 34' 5ver that weighs approx. 9k. Will the tow tune make the engine run hotter than the factory tune? What about EGTs? If I add a 4" cat back in addition to the tow tune what would the estimated HP and TQ number be and at what rpm?

When unloaded I drive 2/3 hiway (65-70) and 1/3 city. I typically average between 17 and 20 mpg hand calculated. What type of increase in mpg could I expect running the economy tune?
Mike

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
One thing that I am very up front about is that I do not make promises for MPG gains. The results in the field have always been good, but there are just so darn many variables. The best way to put it is if there is mpg to be gained, my tune should find it. The HP numbers are very repeatable and verifiable.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thats fine, the economy tune is just a bonus in my mind. What I am really interested in is the tow tune. I am located just across the border in MN and am planning on doing some business with you later this spring.

I was wondering if you could address my questions regarding the two tune:
"I pull a 34' 5ver that weighs approx. 9k. Will the tow tune make the engine run hotter than the factory tune? What about EGTs? If I add a 4" cat back in addition to the tow tune what would the estimated HP and TQ number be and at what rpm?"

·
Registered
170 Posts
Are these tunes being discussed ones that were purchased and installed by Kennedy or are they the EFI Live tunes that you get if you purchase EFI from Kennedy?

From what I've read there's a difference between the two. Also can you switch between the two tunes (whichever they may be) similar to the dsp2 switch?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
mandersonle;1578219; said:
Thats fine, the economy tune is just a bonus in my mind. What I am really interested in is the tow tune. I am located just across the border in MN and am planning on doing some business with you later this spring.

I was wondering if you could address my questions regarding the two tune:
"I pull a 34' 5ver that weighs approx. 9k. Will the tow tune make the engine run hotter than the factory tune? What about EGTs? If I add a 4" cat back in addition to the tow tune what would the estimated HP and TQ number be and at what rpm?"
Your views on economy are the same as mine. Modify for performance and efficiency and if you can gain some economy, bonus. Your EGT's should stay in check without issue in most situations as I add boost where needed. I have guys towing with my Race tuning. That said, if you abuse it you can get things out of line in a hurry. Heck, a stock LLY can see 1500°f+. For exhaust, I'dd say full system to get real benefits. I tune for 80-100RWHP with a stock trans. I try to run a flat curve around 600-650 lb/ft TQ at the wheels. How well the trans deals with this can vary, but in most cases it is safe. Under acheiving trans and over acheiving engines could mess with this strategy

misley;1578255; said:
Are these tunes being discussed ones that were purchased and installed by Kennedy or are they the EFI Live tunes that you get if you purchase EFI from Kennedy?

From what I've read there's a difference between the two. Also can you switch between the two tunes (whichever they may be) similar to the dsp2 switch?
This is my KD Custom switchable tuning. I do offer a complimentary tune with EFI Live purchase just like other vendors. Those tunes are designed to show the basic strategy behind tuning the Dmax so the user can see what is being done and refine them from there.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I've had JK's tunes since he first started making them. Only one or two refinements over the last year needed as he made them better. Very streetable, decent economy. I never got around to installing a DSP2 until recently and I've towed/drag raced/everything else with his race tune, it dyno'd 485 ish and was as driveable as stock. Only recently drove the econo tune.

The LLY stuff he has done also has very good results. Nary any smoke on either and very smooth/quite. Highly recommended

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have been running JK tunes for some time now I highly recommend them. Like what has been said before very smooth quite and drivabllity are all excellent. Even the big tunes are very driveable even while towing. Fuel economy has gone up as well last tank I got 20.7 mpg on winter fuel very happy with his tunes.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Ditto for all of the above. I run the KD Race tunes on both my LB7 and my LLY. 620 HP on fuel for the LB7 and 480 on fuel for my LLY. Both are exceptionally well mannered and drive great.

The LLY tow tune is great too, it pulls my 10K total weight LB7 and trailer around with ease, no EGT issues.

Fantastic stuff and I certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a quality tune and service to boot.

·
Registered
406 Posts
it was very smooth on the bottom, quiet, and a nice big top end
I had a girlfriend like that once:D Oops thats another story........

·
Registered
230 Posts
Lbz

John, how's the LBZ tunes coming along? Was tempted to purchase another tuner, but after speaking with you I'm waiting for your LBZ tunes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Kennedy;1577994; said:
Actually, it's only 50HP gain at 3100 RPM and 100HP gain at 3100 RPM. Peak HP still builds beyond 3100. The 100HP tune has been set up to deliver flat TQ curve at just over 600 lb/ft. If you'd lik ethe economy tune tamed down a bit I can do so. It has a nice TQ curve that tends to get a bit more aggressive at about 2400-2600 RPM.
Don't get me wrong, I like the Econ tune, I was just shocked at the power it made! The race tunes must be sick (or maybe I've been without a powerful performance car for too long!)

·
Registered
402 Posts
WildChild;1580428; said:
I had a girlfriend like that once:D Oops thats another story........

:funnypost :lol:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts