Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out what I have going on here. Will bad glow plug/plugs cause the 175amp fuse to blow everytime you turn the truck on and throw a ses ligh when cold? I get a p0380 and a p0540 code and tried a different glow plug controller but no luck. I haven't checked my glow plugs yet but will. Last thing I have is the glow plugs but just wondered if thats my culprit for the fuse to keep blowing. Can't find any bare wires that I can see and like I said tried another controller but the same thing keep happening. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
if you leave the controller unhooked what happens

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Left it unhooked as far as not pluging in the conector to the harness and everything else left on it and it won't blow the fuse. Snap in the conector and pop, it blows.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Does your truck have the buss bar connecting all the glow plugs together, Part of this buss bar might have bent and is touching the engine block or head , shorting out the system or there could be a glow plug that is shorted out internally. You might have to check the glow plugs one by one to see which one is bad. Charlie

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bus bar looks like it's really close on the driverside in a few spots. Passengerside looks to be ok but will double check. I'll go out and see if I can get some space between the bar as this will be my last shot until tomorrow as I have one fuse left:mad:

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Charlie! I found a spot where it was touching the head bolt. Started it up and the fuse didn't blow. I'll wait about a half hour and start it again and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts