Diesel Place banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey turboawd, I’ve had the same issue going on with mine. Gm wanted $1600 or $1800 cad here for the module only...$2200 for a total new heater. It’s been -20 - -26C so I found a used heater (GM Espar D5WZ) on eBay and installed the module from it and it works again.

I’m thinking my original module locked up because I had battery issues for awhile last winter and after that it just wouldn’t come on anymore. GM won’t spend time on diagnostics but I finally found one dealer who agreed to connect the tech 2. It had the same code pop up as yours “comb blower motor circuit open”. But that evening I tested the motor and it worked fine, no issues there.

The biggest issue I had with the dealer was as soon as I mentioned the testing procedures within tech 2 (I wanted him to test it) he pulled the plug mentioning it would be better to just replace the unit...lol. You can’t win with them and I would never pay that much money for the module or the complete unit.

With having a tech 2, one could slip the original module back into place and test the heater and possibly unlock it, that would be great as I’d have a complete spare heater...or I could sell it.

I read somewhere with the Espar specs and trouble shooting that a prolonged period of too low voltage (excessive battery charging), voltage spikes (loose Bat terminal Connections) etc would cause the module to a hard lockout. GM also changed the long battery cable for the second battery at the time but forgot to tighten the nut that ties this all important cable to that tri-terminal block under the hood.
After picking the van up I noticed a banging noise and gauges bouncing around pretty good at start up sometimes as I needed the van for work. I’m sure that didn’t do it any good that afternoon. So, new batteries, new cable last winter but the heater never started again after that. But, now with this used module it runs like a charm.

I see quite a few Asian models of the tech 2 on eBay. Some say cars only, well mmmmm!
Maybe you could let me know which one or seller you bought from? Just I wouldn’t want to order one the doesn’t have my 2006 Savana, 6.6 Duramax.

·
Registered
277 Posts
All Tech 2 clones work with all vans just fine. When the sellers say "cars only", they probably mean no heavy duty trucks, or no motorcycles, whatever. But my generic eBay Tech 2 works on all cars, vans, pickups, including a C4500 Kodiak. They are only $300, and I wouldn't own a Duramax vehicle without owning a Tech 2.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you, this is what I thought but wanted to make sure.
Good price! And to be able to run and check this hydronic heater is a big bonus.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yeah. Like mentioned as long as it is for Gm cars it will work. Only thing to watch out for is to not buy one that is setup for saab, opel, Isuzu etc. They have different memory cards.
I bought mine from seller 'buyfromtzt' item# 173933816442
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/173933816442
it works good, just the cord connections were awfully tight.
I think the module locks out if there was a failure to start. And the only way to clear codes or reset it is with the tech 2.
I am now using a used heater I bought for around $200. But i did take apart my old heater, and found that the fan was stuck. It broke loose when I forced it. And there was a bit of corrosion inside. I cleaned it up and put it back together, but never reinstalled it, and I didn't have the tech 2 while it was still in the vehicle to check its diagnostics. So I'll keep it as a backup.
The other option I was looking at was to get an espar heater from the sprinter vans. They use the same heater but with different module. Their module can be wired to a toggle switch to turn on. But those heaters are hard to find.
Here is a thread with info if you're bored and want to read.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=278359#post278359
It should be mandatory to have these heaters on the vans. Otherwise they just don't heat up and high idle constantly in the cold.
I think installing the second maf/iat sensor and mounting it behind the bumper helps the heater come on sooner, since the sensor is not getting heat soaked with engine heat.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts