Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where the fuse is for this heater? Or how to test it?
- Van has a full tank.
- Outside temperature has been -2c all day. (tested at 7pm)

Turned on the Van, 30-40 seconds late high idle turned on, nothing from the heater under the van, didn't even make a sound. I figured the firs thing to check was the fuse....looked under the passenger seat and didn't find. Tried google didn't find.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just went outside and did another quick test. My glow plug lights doesn't even stay on, it turns on when I initially turn the key to accessories like all the other lights on the dash but it goes out very quickly after. What temperature are those suppose to go on at?

I have no check engine lights, I would figure if the glow plugs are suppose to turn on and they didn't it would throw a code....or maybe that is wishful thinking.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Tech 2 has diagnostics for the heater. I would hook that up first and go from there.

If you have any bad glow plugs a code will pop up telling you which one is bad.

·
Registered
883 Posts
mine doesnt work either. dealer replaced it once under warranty.
i wish we could just use a switch to turn it on.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey so I got it working!!

I took it to my gf's brothers GM shop, he connected some fancy device to the VAN and then the second menu option was this Aux heater. So he attempted to start it but it wasn't working, it said no ignition or something and he kept trying and finally he was just like I guess these are just throw away parts when they stop working.

Well anyways I started the van today and came out to a nice whistling sound of the heater working, crawled under the van and sure enough that little heater was pumping out some serious heat. Called him up and he wasn't surprised, he said he has seen the craziest things start working after they just plug in that device and give it a shot.
He said he did clear all the error codes that were present before he unplugged it just to see so perhaps that did it....

So might be worth the effort to just take your van in and have them attempt the manual start of it.

Anyway just wanted to update everyone.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hey so I got it working!!

I took it to my gf's brothers GM shop, he connected some fancy device to the VAN and then the second menu option was this Aux heater. So he attempted to start it but it wasn't working, it said no ignition or something and he kept trying and finally he was just like I guess these are just throw away parts when they stop working.

Well anyways I started the van today and came out to a nice whistling sound of the heater working, crawled under the van and sure enough that little heater was pumping out some serious heat. Called him up and he wasn't surprised, he said he has seen the craziest things start working after they just plug in that device and give it a shot.
He said he did clear all the error codes that were present before he unplugged it just to see so perhaps that did it....

So might be worth the effort to just take your van in and have them attempt the manual start of it.

Anyway just wanted to update everyone.
so i need a tech 2 to try and start the heater? i really dont want to go the the gm dealer. any other way to do it?

·
Registered
883 Posts
if i buy a chinese made gm tech 2 scanner off ebay, will i be able to diagnose my heater?

·
Registered
820 Posts
if i buy a chinese made gm tech 2 scanner off ebay, will i be able to diagnose my heater?
why not just buy one of the aftermarket heaters...they work awesome and are less than $200...the factory installed espar heaters are known to be unreliable..
I installed mine right under my portapotti stand and it comes with an easy to use lcd controller...$175 shipped to my door.

Attachments

·
Registered
883 Posts
why not just buy one of the aftermarket heaters...they work awesome and are less than $200...the factory installed espar heaters are known to be unreliable..
I installed mine right under my portapotti stand and it comes with an easy to use lcd controller...$175 shipped to my door.
I would definitely install one of those versus paying over 1000 for the factory unit. I was hoping maybe some codes need to be cleared.
What unit did you install?

·
Registered
883 Posts
One thing I need to fix is the random low coolant light I keep getting. But I would assume if the light wasn't on, the heater would turn on, and not have to have any codes cleared...
Anyone know the part number for the coolant overflow tank? Or can the sensor be removed only?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Well I ordered a Chinese made gm tech 2 scanner off ebay. I'll give it a shot to diagnose the heater. In the meantime, I took off the grill and cut up a black garbage can and placed it in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
883 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
It amazes me how cheap these are.
How hot can your van get inside, if it's like 0 degrees outside?
Did you tap into your fuel tank or lines?
I've never been anywhere where it's zero (nor will that ever be on any bucket list) in my van, so I can't comment on that. However, when I was in Yellowstone earlier this year it was in the low 30's in the morning, it required less than 5 minutes to make the inside warm enough that I was turning it down, they put out a tremendous volume of hot air when on high.

The price is crazy cheap and made me question it as an option but the overwhelming amount of testimontials/videos of sucessful use made a believer out of me. I have a buddy that spent $900 on a "real Webasto" for his Sprinter (he has money to burn) and perhaps the only bit of it that is "nicer" is the controller head...it's maybe $50 nicer in my book..
Yes, I tapped into the suction side of my lift pump and it works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
One thing with these heaters regardless of brand is the more they run the better they are. It is a good idea to cycle it and run it every so often even when you do not need it.

·
Registered
883 Posts
One thing with these heaters regardless of brand is the more they run the better they are. It is a good idea to cycle it and run it every so often even when you do not need it.
There is no way to manually turn it on. The computer controls when it turns on. I wish there was a way to just wire it to a switch.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
There is no way to manually turn it on. The computer controls when it turns on. I wish there was a way to just wire it to a switch.
Tech 2 should be able to manually turn it on to test it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts