Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a K&N air filter last year - it came pre-oiled but now it's time for me to clean it & re-oil it. I have read a few threads on how if it is over oiled you may get sensors that fail and ultimately end up in a hassle over warranty issues.

In reading the oiling instructions that K&N gives in their re-oiling kit the directions are pretty general & vague.

Does anyone have any tricks/tips to share on how you know that you have not over or under oiled the filter?

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Give it light, even passes.I try to make sure the filter is DRY before I oil it too.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Like 66flh said light even coats, and just remember you can always add oil but you cant just take it off.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Well, according to Spicers report at the K&N factory they claim no MAF sensor has had malfunctioning problems due to the oil from the filter.
If this is the case then what is the concern for over oiling the filter then?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
The trick is to not be in a rush. Use lots of detergent to loosen up the dirt and then run it under a gentle stream of water. You don’t want to use too much pressure because you will spread the gauze inside and make openings for dirt to get thru. Then shake it out and let it dry in the sun or overnight if you can. Don’t blow it dry with compressed air for the same reason I mentioned above. Then when you apply the oil spray it evenly on the outside of the filter. When the truck runs it will draw the oil into the filter. Don’t spray oil on the inside.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I use the squirt bottle of oil rather than the spray. This way I can measuer out exactally 3.36 oz of oil for my filter. After removal from the truck, I knock out all loose dirt and the go over it with a small vac. Then I spray with the cleaner, wait 30 min, spray with cleaner again, wait 30 min, rinse with water (clean side with water running thru the dirty side). Shake off water and let air dry for 24 hrs. After the filter is dry, I then squeeze the oil on the top of the pleats (dirty side only), being careful not to overdue it. The I will go again half-way in the pleats, on each side, making sure not to use all 3.36 oz. You want to save a little for touch up later. After I let the oil soak down for about an hr, I look for white spots and re-oil with the extra. Let it sit overnite then install in the truck. I have a paper filter I put in while doing this, cause it takes me about 2 days to do it all.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
My method was to:
Read lots of posts here
Look at test results
Remove my K&N
Throw it in the trash
Intall a stock paper filter.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
I actually use a different method, but I've used K&N for years. I don't drench the filter when I clean it and oil it, but I do let it sit overnight so the oil can soak in before I install it. I keep the stock filter and use that overnight and then the next day install the K&N. In my opinion this gives it time to soak and the majority of the oil won't get sucked in. I've been doing it like this for a long while.

$.02

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Hey sorry...I didn't mean to be a wise a$$. I was just telling you the truth about what I did.
Ok...I might have been trying to be a wise a$$. Still true though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey sorry...I didn't mean to be a wise a$$. I was just telling you the truth about what I did.
Ok...I might have been trying to be a wise a$$. Still true though.
No problem - life's too short to sweat the small stuff.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.