Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Would you recommend the K & N air filter (drop in) for my 1995 GMC Sierra? I'm looking for both more power and fuel economy.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Pete

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
although you did post this in the right section I'm going to move it to the 6.5 forum so you get more exposure. I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
upgrade it to the round filter i have changed both of my trucks to the round filter running a k&n on my 95 and the stock filter for 97+ on my 93 ive switched them around between both trucks and have noticed a difference between k&n vs stock some people dont like the K&n sayin it lets in more debris but to each his own if you dont want to drop the lute on the k&n look into the fram air hog i belive its cheaper

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree, upgrade to the round filter and then install a K&N. There are sealing problems with the plate filters and the aftermarket filters seem to seal even worse than the OEM style filters. However if you could get a plate type K&N cheap, I might be tempted to glue it in place with 3M weatherstrip cement. But really, the round filter is the way to go. I have one with a K&N and I show excellent filtering on my oil analysis.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've had the K&N filter in my Submarine for 8+ years. I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Pete, I've got the k&n drop in filter in my truck. I'm happy with it, no seal issues here. these filters need to be serviced (cleaned and oiled) regularly. If I had the assembly laying around, I'd switch to the round filter assembly. Aside from that, I'm happy with it the way it is.

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I like the AFE better than the K&N just based on what I have researched and personally own.

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
The biggest problem with an open element filter is that it draws hot air from the engine compartment. If it's not in a box that draws from the fenderwell, it should at a minimum have some shrouding around it to prevent it from drawing as much hot air. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your input.

From reading the posts, it appears that upgrading to the round style filter box and using the K & N filter is the way to go.

With that, I will follow suit. Now I'm going to hunt for an air box.

Thanks again,

Pete..:)

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Thank you everyone for your input.

From reading the posts, it appears that upgrading to the round style filter box and using the K & N filter is the way to go.

With that, I will follow suit. Now I'm going to hunt for an air box.

Thanks again,

Pete..:)

If you find 2, can I get your extra?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts