Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found and ordered a K-47 air cleaner on Ebay. it will arrive this coming Wednesday.

Are there any tricks or landmines to be aware of to put this in a 1994 K1500? I want to use the boot and resonator tube that comes with it.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
15,700 Posts
I found and ordered a K-47 air cleaner on Ebay. it will arrive this coming Wednesday.

Are there any tricks or landmines to be aware of to put this in a 1994 K1500? I want to use the boot and resonator tube that comes with it.

Thanks!
As long as you already have the passenger inner fender snorkel modified or removed it should be just a case of unbolting the stock system and remove.
Then bolt in the K47 system..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right on. Yes, snorkel was removed long ago!

·
Super Moderator Eco-Logistical
4,271 Posts
It is TIGHT clearing the expansion tank...
Hope your filter came with the fender bracket...
94 bracket wont fit.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope so to! If not I guess it will be "arts and crafts" time...

·
Administrator
15,700 Posts
It is TIGHT clearing the expansion tank...
Hope your filter came with the fender bracket...
94 bracket wont fit.
In the link he sent me it showed a bracket attached to the unit.
I believe this is the correct bracket::confuzeld

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Eco-Logistical
4,271 Posts
In the link he sent me it showed a bracket attached to the unit.
I believe this is the correct bracket::confuzeld
Yes, that is the bracket.
Remove yours, bolt that on, and hook it all up.
Should be good to go.
It made a huge difference on my weak 95 k1500 suburban... my butt-o-meter felt the airflow improvement...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks! I'm looking forward to it.

It's surprising that the inside of the fender is a good source for air. I haven't looked at the inside of mine for a while, but it seems it wouldn't be that shielded from engine compartment air, and that it wouldn't have good air flow.

So with that being said, is it important to try to seal it up with the fender at all? Right now my stock air breather is pretty loose and not tightly sealed with the fender at all. Also, when I gut the flashing in upper intake, will I need to get a new gasket?

Has anyone done anything to improve the air flow through the fender...other than removing the snorkel which I've already done?

·
Registered
357 Posts
You could look into doing some fender vents.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
The inner fender is separate from the engine compartment so no hot air. There is plenty of cool air flow to inner fender well from the hole left by removal of the old snorkel tube. Trucks that came with the K47 have a hole for air going thru the radiator support to the inner fender under the passenger battery.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tommygunner,

Thanks. Would it be worth trying to duplicate that hole in the fender on the 1994 model?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Look at your fender for the baffle marked "X".
If you don't have that then you need to seal up the openings in the fender or use the OEM in-fender snorkel.
94 and earlier don't have that baffle so used the "snorkel" to keep out engine heat. All GMT-400's have the intake vent at the front of the fender to behind the grill, diesel and gas.

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=622230&stc=1&d=1571014713

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=622232&stc=1&d=1571014713

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts