Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just joined the forum, and love all the info on here. I’m not sure where to post this question. I just moved to Meridian, Idaho, from Oregon where diesels are not required to go through emissions. So, I’m not sure what the process is. I have a delete and tune on my ‘11 2500 HD, I have a muffler but no cat. I was wondering if I buy a 4” high flow cat off eBay and install it if that will satisfy the requirements? Any info would be helpful as I got the post card in the mail that I have to go in.

·
Administrator
18,674 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
(y)

Reactions: iiii_76

·
Registered
137 Posts
I live in Oregon and I am kind of surprised to hear that Idaho has emissions testing; although, it makes sense if it's a local law. I was curious so I got some info from the google -

https://www.turbodieselregister.com/threads/emission-testing-in-idaho.224422/

- thread that goes over some requirements and yes it looks like a visual inspection will occur.

- website of a shop that does the testing. It looks like the test is $20 per state law. If you fail you only pay $16.50, are given a list of deficiencies to correct, are charged the remaining $3.50 on return for your second test so you may just want to get it tested and roll the dice since it wont really cost you anything more, although adding a high flow "cat" may be a good idea prior to the test.

Just a thought but having just moved how tied down are you to where you live now? Not sure how boundaries are drawn but would moving 20 minutes to avoid this nonsense be possible? Something I would look into....

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Oregon and I am kind of surprised to hear that Idaho has emissions testing; although, it makes sense if it's a local law. I was curious so I got some info from the google -

https://www.turbodieselregister.com/threads/emission-testing-in-idaho.224422/

- thread that goes over some requirements and yes it looks like a visual inspection will occur.

- website of a shop that does the testing. It looks like the test is $20 per state law. If you fail you only pay $16.50, are given a list of deficiencies to correct, are charged the remaining $3.50 on return for your second test so you may just want to get it tested and roll the dice since it wont really cost you anything more, although adding a high flow "cat" may be a good idea prior to the test.

Just a thought but having just moved how tied down are you to where you live now? Not sure how boundaries are drawn but would moving 20 minutes to avoid this nonsense be possible? Something I would look into....

Good luck!
Thanks! That helps, and I think you are right, I should just roll the dice. I read one thread where someone said he didn’t get passed because of not having a cat for the visual, and passed after he put it on. My reason for the questions is that all the post I’ve read seem to be almost 10yrs old. I think I’ll get a high flow cat and roll the dice.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
If worse comes to worst, maybe keep it registered in a state not so overbearing. Been there, done that. If you don't know an address you can use for that, maybe a rental post box on the cheap.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Ada County emission testing is only a sniffer test using a quick rev to 2k rpm to measure the soot percentage only (>40% is fail). They do do a visual inspection so you "may" fail if you're missing a CAT or DPF. I test at the Phillips 66 sation at Cloverdale & Fairview across from Peterson Chevrolet. The emission staff are fairly ignorant of what to look for and just focus on the sniff test...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts