Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I posted about how my turbo was barking and asked if anyone knew where to get a blow-off valve to to relieve the surging and other things that happen when you have to suddenly let off the gas.....well I found a Blow-off valve that is good for Duramax's that are under 400 h.p.(type-S) and over 400 h.p.(type-R). Hope this helps!

Also since this is helping the turbo would this be a warranty killer or would they even know if I installed it? Any D-max techs info would be appreciated!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys in advance,

Mark

OPPS!! forgot to mention that the maker of the blow-off valve is GReddy and can be found @ www.greddy.comEdited by: DURAMAXED03

·
Registered
494 Posts
Why do you need a blow off valve? It doesn't hurt anything to bark the turbo. Do you have the wastegate modified or is it stock.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stock.......plus I'm a newbie that doesn't know much so I might seem foolish to people that know what there talking about

·
Registered
494 Posts
I haven't seen one instance where barking the turbo hurt a thing. But installing the valve wouldn't harm a thing either. Main thing is to not disable the wastegate hose or you could harm something.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would you be touching the wastegate hose to install it? and are you ready for this....I don't know a wastegate from a wastebasket. I know I know, sad but true

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
The wastegate is your blow off valve ....

My turbo will bark also when I'm heavy in the throttle then just get out of the throttle real quick ....

Now if you block the wastegate and bark it on acceleration and are building well over 30 LBS of boost then I'd be concerned ...

Mac

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so having a blow-valve is redundant. MAN, I must've just made some people laugh with this post....oh well live & learn....Thanks Mackin always there in a pinch!

P.S. can I modify my wastegate to make that cool whoosh sound?!?Edited by: DURAMAXED03

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
DURAMAXED03 said:
so having a blow-valve is redundant. MAN, I must've just made some people laugh with this post....oh well live & learn....Thanks Mackin always there in a pinch!

Doubt it ..... Others may have been educated that were to afraid to ask .... I'm still learning ..... We weren't born with this info ... The only dumb questions are the unasked ones ... So learn away ....

Mac

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would be kinda curious as too what a blow off valve would sound like on our trucks, my car is running 8 psi and turns heads when people hear it blow off, then again a diesel alone makes enough noise to turn heads. I would still be curious to hear one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The wastegate doesn't act like a blow off valve. It only opens to maintain a certain boost pressure. Once you let off, and boost is down below the psi it opens, it closes. A blow off valve is needed when you have a throttle blade closing with boost blowing into it on gas engines. The pressure is then forced back into the turbo backwards making it spin backwards. This is a turbo fart, sneeze, or bark. What we are experiencing is just fast spool down. It makes the same noise at 5psi when you let off, just not as loud. It is not hurting anything as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a blow-off valve on my cummins motor.

Pretty cool sound to hear 50 psi squirting out a 50mm valve.

Besides is ticks off the rice burners when your blow-off is meaner than theirs.

Mines more of a phwooch-sssshhhhhhhh than your typical woosh.

Later,

Wes

·
Registered
926 Posts
how's that again Wes... can we get an audio sample?!?!?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Very interisting, I would like to kow how a turbine blade spinning at 80K to 130K can suddenly spin backwards?

"The pressure is then forced back into the turbo backwards making it spin backwards. This is a turbo fart, sneeze, or bark." as per dieselfumes.

The nut that holdes the impeller blade is reverse threads, it would unscrew itself and he impeller would fall off if this were to happen. Let alone the G forces involved in suddenly reversing a rotating mass spinning at such a high rpm, it would self distruct!

As for the waste gate you could disable it and use a blowoff valve and get the "cool sound" you are looking for. I have heard some f**ds that have a blead off valve that it makes it sound like a large compressor leak thriugh the exhaust.

Pilot

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
heard of a turbo "bark" but never a "fart".....maybe a turbo "fart" is a ricer thing

Barking a turbo cant be good.....but I guess the jury is out if its bad? I kinda like the bark sound......donk know how I'd like a blow off letting go at 25#'s though?
Time for a lab rat to figure out what it sounds like. Who's getting nominated?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My former boss has one on his supercharged Vette. With the placement of the supercharger down low, the blow-off is near the inside of the fenderwell. Sounds awesome from the passenger seat or when he revs it up and standing beside it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts