Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new bilsteins
I was woundering if anyone knows what the torque is on hardware when I go to install them? Any info would be great

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chevmeister, thank you for the link that is just what the doctor ordered!

·
Registered
116 Posts
From the above link: Eric's info was

Shock bolts rear 70ft lb
front upper 15ft lb
front lower 110ft lb

Is the front lower really 110 ft. lb's? Someone had posted a different value - 18ft lbs in that same thread. Who's right or am I reading it wrong?

·
Registered
127 Posts
From a 2003 service manual (5 book set).....

Front Upper 4WD.....15 ft/lbs

Front Upper 2WD.....19 ft/lbs

Front Lower 2WD/4WD.....59 ft/lbs

Rear Upper & Lower.....70 ft/lbs

Noticed that the lower control arm to frame nuts are 110 ft/lbs on the 4WD. Maybe thats where Eric read that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks, will be taking on the project tomorrow and from what it sounds like it isnt all that big a project.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it sounds like everyone will be under there rigs playing with there new yellow and blue toys

I can not wait....if I did not have to ref a hockey game tonight that is were I would be right now...under my rig!!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Which model is everyone buying? I went to the performanceproducts.com page and I can order the reguar Bilstein or the 5150 series. What is the difference between the two?

·
Registered
267 Posts
You do not need the 5150, they are a remote resevoir, aluminum plated shock, intended as more of a high performance (ie off road) shock. You just need the stock replacements.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nowake- when you install the rear shocks- don't remove the banding until after the shock is installed with bolts reinstalled. ( It will open up and get real hard to push back in.)

zip.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zip thank you for the heads up. I am going to do mine today, just woundering how everyone is torqueing the front top nut. I was thinking about getting a crows foot, because it looks like a deep socket would not be long enough.

I can not wait.

·
Registered
42 Posts
NoWake200,

Since 15 ft/lb. of torque isn't that much and I didn't have a socket long enough; I just tightened the top nut down until the rubber spacer bulged slightly then backed it off a bit. Everything seems to be working out fine. They haven't come loose and fallen off.

I still can't believe what a difference the Bilsteins have made. I didn't inform my lovely wife that I had put new shocks on. She commented the other day that the truck ride was much smoother than she remembered. I still haven't told her why.
Edited by: 1*

·
Registered
909 Posts
I installed mine today and it wasn't too bad. The final hole/bolt alignment was the only thing tricky. For the fronts, I placed a beefy hole punch in one hand to align the hole and the other hand pushed the bolt in place. Much the same for the backs, except I had the hole punch in one hand and scissors in the other to cut the band. Worked like a charm even without a jack.

What a ride now!
One of the front old shocks had a couple of dead spots about half-way into the compression motion. The rears felt soft.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought that 15lbs would not be alot...I went out a got a crows foot anyway and torqued it...I was very surprised at how much the bushings compressed at 15lbs!
...maybe the Bilsteins bushings are softer than the factory's.

·
Registered
909 Posts
When I removed the OEM shocks I did an informal check of the factory installed torque and they were less than the prescribed torque ratings.

·
Registered
410 Posts
guys..how much for the bilsteins?? tks, bob

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think they are running about $60 each. The reason for the mad rush of Bilsteins postings was due to a sale that was posted...$46 each
but the sale is now over

·
Registered
68 Posts
Where were they being purchased for $46 each? I would like to contact them and find out when they will be on sale again.

Dale

·
Registered
328 Posts
Question:

A little off the topic here,

When I installed my nerf bars, I had to attach the Rear bracket to the Front end of the Rear leaf spring bolt. Does any one have the torque spec's on this nut and bolt in their books?

Thanks

Paul

1 - 20 of 23 Posts