Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Customer brought in new truck this AM with 800 miles on it, half of them were from the drive over. Pulled it down and layed the guts out as the guy is starting to get nervous about the 52k he just layed down for his truck 4 days earlier and now his trans is in more pieces then New Orleans.

As Mike L already said, the Rotating assembly is alot different then previous. Clutch stack is pretty strait forward, C3 and C4 remain the same, but you need to watch the rear gear set as the pitch is different on the gears and wont play well if the pieces are mixed up. Made the standard issue line pressure mods and the "tricks" that we use to make the trans work well.

The rear housing looks to be beefier, likely to help combat the cracking issue.

If you dont have a Can-Di module for your Tech-2, dont even attempt this, you MUST clear the taps on these. Your not gonna be able to clear the taps on this with an aftermarket tuner. If you dont clear the Taps, your asking for trouble.

Line pressure is right where we like to see it at around 120 lbs at idle, jumps to 275 going down the road and 220 locked up. Drove it with the new Bully Dog and it really runs good. I have never been in a truck with a Bully Dog tuner that I liked so I was very suprised on how smooth this drove.

Pricing is right in line with a 5 speed, check with your installer for exact numbers.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thanks Eric for taking care of him and your welcome.:ro)Time to stack it up this week with some more hp .

·
Registered
14,325 Posts
Eric
Good Job.:ro) Now if we could only adapt the programming from the '06 to older models we would have the finest shifting Ally on the planet. You must admit the shift strategy on this puppy is dead on.:exactly: You are correct about the CanDi module; if you can't comunicate with this new TCM you are dead. We threw codes P0751, and P0756 on the rollers after install ( we put the Ally in gear 2 quarts low because of air pocket ) and limped it. For a competent tech with experience and proper diagnostic equipment ( he needs to know how to use them also ) this is no problem. For a DIY guy; you ain't getting off the rack.:eek:

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
check with your installer for exact numbers.
Ill check with myself...):h

thats awesome to hear Eric...is that the first 2006 trans you've worked on? Does it feel any different than a 2001-2005 "Suncoasted" trans?

--Ben

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
another happy customer, now lets get it to a dyno for some numbers!! with the new tranny

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
dmaxalliTech's did you turn the BD to the highest power setting or was it on one of the lower ones if on high how did that trans act with the added power i bet the truck was like a rocket

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You mean there is levels other then "kill" ?

These transmission simply work awesome. The shift stratagy is sweet and a great build only makes it better.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
Eric you still working on that conversion kit to allow a 4th gen TCM to work with an M74 Ally?? :)

btw I might need to talk to you on Monday about that stupid C3 snapring, hopefully the trans shop can get it in for me...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
You mean there is levels other then "kill" ?

These transmission simply work awesome. The shift stratagy is sweet and a great build only makes it better.
man i cannot wait tell i get my LBZ i think i might sleep in for the first month i like it so much as soon as i can get one it will be getting upgrades right after that and i so envy you guys that have them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts