Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went t o Florida last week and we noticed a small leak of something when we got down there. About halfway back hom around Colombia SC, stayed overnight there and in the morning, the truck would not act right, started to drive dowm the interestate and it would not come out of 3rd gear. Turned around in the median and went back to exit and check fluid in Tranny and there wa none on the stick. Took a quart to get it up to where it needed to be. Drove fine all the way home to WV, but the undercarrriage was now rust proofed by tranny fluid. NExt day took almost 4 quarts to get it up to correct level on stick, so I jacked it up and it was leaking between the front housing and the engine oil pan.

Get it ti the stealer and they inform me that they can not really tell where it was leaking from but was sure it was the TC or the front pump, the seals were fine, but the tranny fluid was an odd orange and yellow color from heat. Did not smell exactly burnt, but you could tell it got hot. Said the TC and the pump alone is around $3,000 installed or I could get a rebuilt one with a 3 year/ 100,000 mile warranty. SO I will take the rebuilt one. What a bummer, I have never had one trouble with the tranny until now.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Please say you didnt go to the dealer for a STOCK trans for that kind of money...you can get a fully built race unit for less then that with much better parts.

·
Registered
840 Posts
From the sounds of the post it looks like the deal is done, but it might not be too late. If there is time, Please call it off. You will be happier in the long run with out the worries of a stock tranny.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
:exactly: what they said...

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
oh no!!! Hopefully you dont already have the new rebuilt stock trans in...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Please say you didnt go to the dealer for a STOCK trans for that kind of money...you can get a fully built race unit for less then that with much better parts
Which one? Where ? How much?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Almost any aftermarket tranny will be better than stock rebuild - they're available pretty much everywhere (but you may have to look a little) - they're gonna cost about what hes paying for his rebuild. Too bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
MIKE L. what improvements are actually being done on the 6 speed? Are they loosing clutches due to programing, not enough clutches or is there a "shift kit" (or drilling pistons or durms )that will help. What about hard parts,is the converter the weakest link.
I have overhauled lots of 4l60,4l60e, and race powerglides but I have yet to touch an allison trans. I just want to get my ducks in a row before I upgrade mine. I plan on buying any of the special tools required.Any info would be helpful.Thanks.

I dont have alot of options locally:chevy: :rocking: :chevy:

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
MIKE L. what improvements are actually being done on the 6 speed? Are they loosing clutches due to programing, not enough clutches or is there a "shift kit" (or drilling pistons or durms )that will help. What about hard parts,is the converter the weakest link.
I have overhauled lots of 4l60,4l60e, and race powerglides but I have yet to touch an allison trans. I just want to get my ducks in a row before I upgrade mine. I plan on buying any of the special tools required.Any info would be helpful.Thanks.

I dont have alot of options locally:chevy: :rocking: :chevy:
'06 Allison has not changed much as far as mods go. They have the same weakness plus more strain on the C3 clutches. C1 and C2 are improved with center cointact on bottom clutch plate. Better apply on C2 because of piston redesign. C3 will be weaker under horsepower because of additional triming off for 6th gear and not enough cooling. Normal trans tools ar suffice except the Ally needs to go on a stand instead of bench. Transgo trim valves are a must for a stock trans and upgraded converter also IMHO.
mike

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thats why I'm leaving my truck stock and under my extended warranty.

Why are they so much money to rebuild?

·
Banned
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took it into the stealer to be looked at and they pulled the tranny out and the transfer case to diagnose. So now my tranny is all over a bay up there. How am I suppossed to pay to have them reinstall a tranny at 8 hours total labor and then buy an aftermarket and pay someone else to take the bad out and then a new one in for 8 more hours.

The decision was a no brainer. I could buy a small car for what labor is costing. It may suck, but I got 173,000 out of the stock.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Can you have them throw it in the bed and tow it to a shop for the aftermarket tranny. then you wouldn't have to pay the shop for the removal. Even with that if it costs a lttle extra, you will probably still be under the cost of the dealer quote.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mike L. thanks for the response. Are the trim valves in the TRANSGO SK ALLISON JR KIT?THANKS AGAIN.
:chevy: :rocking: :chevy:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Get the dealer the parts and have him rebuild it with a transgo and tripple disk converter at least.

·
Banned
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked up my truck today. All in all the total bill was $5,072.70, which included a transfer case flush and a complete degreasing of the undercarriage.
I am satisfied with the way it runs. For the first 50 miles it shifted rather weird, but it smoothed out quite nicely. It now has just a little over 100 miles on it and it is doing good.

My last tranny must have been having some problems for quite some time as with this one, when it started to shift good, I puched the throttle and I about Censored craped myself at the power it has now. :ro) I mean this truck came to life and I mean quick. I was not expecting that. The last tranny must have been slipping a lot for me to notice this uge difference. Can anyone explain how I would not have noticed how bad my old one was and how great this one seems to be?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
It's tough to explain how different it feels to have a full-built trans. You don't know how much the truck wakes up with the power going to the ground!:ro)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Are you talking about a rebuilt with stock parts tranny? Or were you able to have the dealer put a transgo and tripple disk in?

Old one must have been really screwed up.

·
Banned
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is a rebuilt one from Allison that was built in Lavonia MI. Man it runs good now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts