Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my truck serviced (LOF,Trans Filter, Reflash, Seat Belts) today. The dealer is located on a VERY busy intersection which you must stand on it to get into traffic. So, off i went...Then noticed a strange air noise, not sure if it was blowing air out or in. I quickly returned to dealer, Service Writer takes for drive around dealership same conclusion.

So, he calls the Service Director and he wants to drive it, so i say go for it! He comes back and takes it straight to a stall/rack. After some searching, he find that the Right Side Inter-cooler Hose (underneath driver's battery ), the hose had Blow Off. I'm still new to this diesel stuff, but "that can't be good", he also stated that he had seen at least 3 other trucks this past week in his shop for the very same thing....Time to carry Gates Hose Clamps.

So, please check you clamps and hoses the next chance you get (boy, i can still hear my father telling me this when i started driving). Again, being new to this not sure how much power i would lose if this happened on the road while pulling my 5th wheel.

BTW, I see a lot more black smoke when i stand on it now that i had the latest reflash done, more so than with my programmer.

TRX......

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I just had my truck serviced (LOF,Trans Filter, Reflash, Seat Belts) today. The dealer is located on a VERY busy intersection which you must stand on it to get into traffic. So, off i went...Then noticed a strange air noise, not sure if it was blowing air out or in. I quickly returned to dealer, Service Writer takes for drive around dealership same conclusion.

So, he calls the Service Director and he wants to drive it, so i say go for it! He comes back and takes it straight to a stall/rack. After some searching, he find that the Right Side Inter-cooler Hose (underneath driver's battery ), the hose had Blow Off. I'm still new to this diesel stuff, but "that can't be good", he also stated that he had seen at least 3 other trucks this past week in his shop for the very same thing....Time to carry Gates Hose Clamps.

So, please check you clamps and hoses the next chance you get (boy, i can still hear my father telling me this when i started driving). Again, being new to this not sure how much power i would lose if this happened on the road while pulling my 5th wheel.

BTW, I see a lot more black smoke when i stand on it now that i had the latest reflash done, more so than with my programmer.

TRX......
Other than more black smoke, have you noticed any difference (more, less or no change) in power after the newest reflash? Speaking of the inter-cooler hose clamps, I've tightened my upper ones (easier to get to than the lower ones) but I need to check and tighten my lower hose clamps. Good thing you weren't far away from the dealer.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
The intercooler boot blowing off is pretty common. The PCV dumps a bunch of oil and crap into the intake and it sits in the bottom of the intercooler and gets up into that boot which makes it slide off very easily.

There is a TSB to clean it all up and glue the boot on with a special adhesive.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
The intercooler boot blowing off is pretty common. The PCV dumps a bunch of oil and crap into the intake and it sits in the bottom of the intercooler and gets up into that boot which makes it slide off very easily.

There is a TSB to clean it all up and glue the boot on with a special adhesive.
Hair spray!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Max Power: Out of all the things I have read here, that is the one thing i must have missed.

thewad1: I seems to be lower H/P, but i'm used to running my programmer on tow mode daily (55hp/110 trq). I'm taking a long trip tomorrow so i'll have a better idea then, plus i can check mileage w/o programmer.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Hair spray!!!
That will work too. I haven't seen the GM glue but I was going to pick up a tube to see what it is.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I dont like the Idea of glueing the boot on. It would be just my luck a drop of glue would fall in my eye or I would have to take the boot off a week later for something.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Just modify the PCV by venting it to the atmosphere. Thats what the LB7's do. The PCV into the intake tube is just pure emissions for the EPA to see before it can be sold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts