Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the Duramax is such a crappy engine, then the resale values would be down and used car lots would be full of them at discount prices. I have only seen 2 used Duramaxes on used car lots. One took a while to sell because it was 2WD. The other, a 4X4 CC Dually lasted 2 days.

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Wow, I've never seen one one the lot up here. I remember seeing a few on the lots in Gillette, WY in Nov 01. That was back before I owned anything that wasn't a Ford.

Ox

·
Registered
747 Posts
The new ones are never on the lots around here unless it was just delivered and the person who ordered it has not picked it up yet. When my was delivered to the dealer, I was not able to pick it up for three days due to my work schedule. When I get to the dealership, my salesman was not there yet. I go over and am looking it over. One of the other salesmen comes up to tell me I am SOL, it was ordered and if the ordering customer doesn't come to get it within a couple more days, he has three other buyers waiting for a chance to get it, but he would be happy to put me on the prospective buyers list.
I kindly let him know he would be getting no commission or whatever on this truck because it was leaving the lot w/me.
I have yet to see a used dmax on the lots in the area.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
The resale value is great when we own them or when we are thinking of buying a new one....but man does that change when we go to trade them in.

I know of '04 Chev 3500 C/C DRW in the STL area that was just traided in if anyone is looking.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Got to say that every Chevy/GMC dealer around here has new Dmax's on their lots(no LLY's).But Ford & Dodge also have diesel trucks on their lots.As far as used ones you don't see any Dmaxs around,but a lot of Ford 6.0's on lots.I found my used 3500 on a lot in a small town about 40mi away.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
The local dealer here has 6 new lb7s on the lot, and one used cc/lb 03 with 39k miles. They want 33 for it. The furd dealer has a 03 cc/lb with 23k for the same price. Both 4x4 ls package. They usually never have used duramaxs for more than a day or 2. I have yet to catch a ext cab short box quick enought to buy it. Should just buy that cc/lb with 23k on it. Anyone think that is a bad deal? I drove it and it seems really nice, just kinda long when I get into a parking lot.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I only paid 36k for my 2002 3500 CCLB brand new. It is an LS but 2wd. Paying 33k for a used truck 1 year newer than mine seems nuts to me. Did the 2003 cost that much more than the 2002's??

·
Registered
47 Posts
FirstDiesel- Mine had a sticker of 48000+. With rebates, 100 over invoice, low interest rate, and 4000 more than I should have got for trade, I think I did OK. nar- you should compare used against new. With interest lower on new ones than used ones, and rebates and such, you may be better off.

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Yep, new is the way to go now.

This time last year I was looking at buying out a lease on a an 01 F350 CC Lariat with 23k on the odo. I've known the guy that owned it for a couple years, he pretty much only pulled his race car with it. He quit racing, so he let in go. it was 40k new, booked for 32 at the time, the buy out was 27. It was a pretty good deal. The lease company started jerking him around about it, so he rode it out. I on the other hand went to the local Ford dealership to price out a new one. The guy told me I couldn't afford what I wanted just looking at me. At the advice of an old friend and fellow Ford fan, I went and drove a D-max equipped Chevy. I loved it! I just couldn't look at it. I called the local GMC dealer, I got great service. Called before I went and when I pulled in, a Sierra with a Dmax was running for me. He let me take it out without question. I went in the next day and ordered Babe. 47.5 in the window 28 out of my pocket. 1k more that the used Ford I was going to buy. Well 4k when you add my trade. 20,000 fun filled miles with only minor hiccups...

Ox

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Well on a new cc/lb the difference they want is about 24 with the rebate. On that 03 with 23k they would trade me for 15 and I can get about 6% at the local bank.. I don't think that's too bad. Just not sure about that long a truck. Sure be nice to be able to throw the four wheeler in and just close the gate. Have to strap it on my sb because my toolbox takes up room. Another thing which really is just a little problem, is that my $200 fancy sub box won't fit unfer the cc seat.
Not a big thing though...

B

·
0 Posts
I just bought a 2001 2500HD cc/sb dmax/allison LS 4X4 with 60,000 on it I paid $31,000. The dealer had it marked at $33,000, Gave me a pretty good trade in for a 92 Ford f150 4X4. I Drive by this lot everyday on my way to work and have been waiting for a Dmax When I bought it it had been on the lot a grand total of 12 hours. They do have one more that is 2001 2500HD cc/sb 4X4 dmax/allison the LT with on-star leather heated seats and all the Fu-Fu stuff. It has 30,000 Miles on it and it much more $$. I am very happy with what I got mine for And thought I have only owned it a month I would DEFINATLY buy another Dmax, I have never owned a truck with this much POWER. I Love it.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
In June my 2003 Chevy 2500HD CC/SB LS 2WD cost $34,500 after rebates and "GM in the Driveway". Window sticker was $42,000. I got the 1.9% interest rate. All future pickups will be diesel.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I got mine in August, '03 2500HD Sieara SLE 4x4 ext cab, sticker was $42500, after about $5500 in rebates and almost $7000 off in GMS pricing i got it for $30000!! Still got 2.9% financing also! So far i love the truck and do not miss my knocking 6.0 gasser at all, plus I'm getting a solid 5mpg better and this truck is not even broken in yet.

I have got to say I'm amazed people are buying used trucks with the prices they have on the new ones, i was seeing 1-2 year old trucks with 20k on them for about $1500-2000 less than a brand new one could be had for with rebates and all??Edited by: gsxr1216

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I'm on #8 D/A truck and wouldn't want anything else.

W/ the used truck market I can get most of what I pay for my truck on trade in for my next one.

I really want a D/A H2, that would be real fun.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Last May (03) after waiting for over 2 months for my brothers nephew to locate me a D/A at the local auction I lucked into the truck in sig. for 35K with 13K miles. (Most of what came throught the aution went to independant dealers for nearly retail.) It was a canadian import. I finally convinced them to keep the bed liner as I wanted to spray one on because of the 5er hitch. endedup at 34,900.

Only problem has been dealer has replaced both camper mirrors. Just turned 25k last night. on second trip with prev 5er, wife commented that she had no regrets with getting this truck.

Last truck was a 1 owner 88 with 207K. This truck is expected to last at least 10 years and many miles.

Still stock and luving it.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Well, this is the year that the 3 yr 36,000 miles warranty is up for the '01s. It'll be interesting to see if the observations posted here change any over the next 12 - 18 months. Granted the drivetrain is under a 100K warranty so maybe not....we'll see.

JP

·
Banned
1,492 Posts
At auctions there are alot of Dmaxes but the dealers are not buying.Gmac just keep sending them around lap after lap.The market on used D/A is real soft.

The buyers i deal with dont want to touch them because they cant justify them in a used car dept due to price/loan ratios compared with new units .Others think they are ticking time bombs right now.

Most buyers think the chance of getting a hopped up unit is high and it's a kiss of death.

However they are buying 01-03 7.3L PSD Super Duties.They will not touch a 6.0L PSD.

Later Tom L.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
So are they giving the trucks away? Doesn't it cost each time they send them through?

·
Banned
1,492 Posts
Hoot, no they are not giving them away,yet.Yes it costs to run them on a new day but to re-run at the end of the run cost nothing.We track all this and some units have been hanging around for 10 weeks now.

Most big buyers are only there for the early rounds, lets say 9:00am-11:30pm.Or they got to Franchised Dealer closed auction at a different day.So re-running is to catch used car lot guys because they think the heavy hitters are gone for the day.Depending on their floor plan,they can floor more gas trucks and be sure to turn them over before the 30 day/50% - 60day /pay-off dates.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts