Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I scored a DB2 4153 J-code IP for $27 from a '83 GMC crew cab dually. Given the clean nature of the fuel that poured out I'd say it's not dead yet. Got the J code split plenum manifold, both fuel filter housings,
water crossover, and glow plug relay. When I turned the crank over to get at the IP bolts I could feel the crunchiness of the bearings. Slip/stick/slip/stick.

Got 4 coarse thread long injectors, but the other 4 are not worth the effort of pulling the AC system. Unless anyone wants the AC brackets? The top bracket bolted to the intake manifold - one of the bolt ears broke of.

No starter or bracket, sadly.

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
How much total cash outlay ? It is still a little cold here for Saturday morning junkyard picnics....LOL. We do them here in the yard close to the wood stoves....(got a 94...ex-cab 6.2L in yard now...did a 2000 Grand Am last week).

BTW, did you think to pull valve covers to check for the cast rocker assemblies ?

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$95 total. Yes it has cast rockers, one cover is pulled.

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
They are getting rare....many guys, us included, prefer running then as compared to the stamped rockers. They have minimal slap, as they are on a brass bushing, and no plastic retainer.

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
so, did you get those rockers yet?......LMFAOx2

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next weekend for sure!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Today I scored a DB2 4153 J-code IP for $27 from a '83 GMC crew cab dually. Given the clean nature of the fuel that poured out I'd say it's not dead yet. Got the J code split plenum manifold, both fuel filter housings,
water crossover, and glow plug relay. When I turned the crank over to get at the IP bolts I could feel the crunchiness of the bearings. Slip/stick/slip/stick.

Got 4 coarse thread long injectors, but the other 4 are not worth the effort of pulling the AC system. Unless anyone wants the AC brackets? The top bracket bolted to the intake manifold - one of the bolt ears broke of.

No starter or bracket, sadly.
Sounds like you got a hell of a nice score! I wish there were more diesels in the junkyards around me.

How much total cash outlay ? It is still a little cold here for Saturday morning junkyard picnics....LOL. We do them here in the yard close to the wood stoves....(got a 94...ex-cab 6.2L in yard now...did a 2000 Grand Am last week).

BTW, did you think to pull valve covers to check for the cast rocker assemblies ?
Whats the gauge cluster look like in the '94? haha If its diesel specific and you want to let it go PM me.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,754 Posts
First of all whats a crew cab dually doing in the boneyard argh.
How about grabbing the whole truck for me.

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
Hmmm, Conneticutt......Oregon.......Hmmmm

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Ive got like an 88 Crew Dually sitting in the junkyard by my house in OR...

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
Ive got like an 88 Crew Dually sitting in the junkyard by my house in OR...
its NBS? if it is does it still have the west coast mirrors on it? more importantly just the brackets top and bottom for both sides, the mirrors dont matter...

·
Mad (Sean) Max
9,602 Posts
'88 should be square body, mines a '90. mmmmmmm west coast mirrors

·
Registered
6,202 Posts

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,754 Posts

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,754 Posts
West coast mirrors are tough to find, I have been looking for months, aftermarket setups don't fit right. Stainless ones are the toughest, I think I found a set of painted ones for the OBS right have to run those for now.

·
Super Moderator A Country Boy Can Survive...
14,350 Posts
If you are heading back to that truck and don't want the cast rockers let me know.

I have 1/2 a set here for my 96. The others either need new bushings or are pitted where the pushrod sits beyond what a little valve grinding compound can clean up.

I'm running the cast rockers on my K-5. They are much better build quality than the stamped rockers with the stupid retainer buttons.

Also i'm looking for the oil filler off an A/C equipped truck(not a burb). The high side A/C line had a bracket that went around the oil fill tube to hold the line from the fan.

Right now i just have a zip tie, and it works, but it's ugly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts