Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When our trucks are out on the road they stand out a little bit. The tell tell signs of the 6.5 on the hood, the vented front bumper, the slightly larger exhaust, and the rattle and humm of the V8 diesel. On the occasion one ends up in the junk yard the engine, hood, and bumpers are usually the first parts to go. Is there a VIN # I need to watch for or some other distinguishing signs?

·
Registered
125 Posts
One way is the 8th digit will have an F or an S, F has no emissions S does ( i believe an egr)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Look at the tach, as the range is completely different. Also, the gas cap says diesel on it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Or even the guage cluster says diesel fuel only.

·
Registered
171 Posts
if you are close enough to look at the VIN you're close enough to look under the hood...there is always the placement of the lift pump if you come at it from underneath. Don't know of any distinquishing features if coming from above.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
hoods are the same except the decal. looking at the engine you will see injector lines snaking around the valve covers.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Nice looking wheels on your Suburban. I'm still running the stock steelies. Some day I may want to upgrade them, but I keep thinking about making it a dualie...

Jake

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THX. The wheels were on the truck when I bought it.

Most of the trucks in the yards around here are stripped from the windshield forward. I'm hoping to come across an APP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts