Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my truck from the local chevy dealer. I recently had problems with hard starting issues. The dealer said injector pump, everyone else seems to think injectors.

Today was the day that they replaced the pump. Truck started great, ran fine everything o.k.

Here's the twist. Henry (who is a boyhood friend of mine, who is the diesel tech) Knows that I have the juice box/K&N filter/Banks monster exhaust all as added power units. He tested the new pump pressure w/ the box plugged in. Tests were all out of balance. Tested new pump with box unplugged, results all in chime. Now, I understand that the box is installed to basically "Trick" the on board computer in to believing that it has more power. Here is henry's opinion on the burned out pump.

When running the stock computer the injector pressures are constantly changing to make up for called upon power when hitting the throttle. When running the box, the injector pressure stays at a relatively high PSI no matter what rpm your running. So henry's opinion is that the G.M. pump cant keep up at that constant high pressure. So he thinks that the box is prematurely wearing down the pump and therefore cannot maintain fuel pressure, hence the hard starting.

Now if anyone has an opinion on this, please post your answers.

I can tell henry anything. He's always open to new ideas. I think I'm going to run the truck with the box disabled for a while just to test his theory. I can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The EDGE JUICE does not affect the pressures the pump puts out in any way at all. The pressures stay the same as stock in all conditions. Boxes such as the Duramaximizer and and VA pressure box do increase pressure... this is why pulse width boxes like the EDGE and TST are prefered.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
good theary, but juice is a pulse box, dont effect pressure at all. i am curious as too what tests he did on pump that were out of balance.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
How is Henry looking at the values at idle ?? If so how can he be possible seeing anything ?? My injector balance rate is same either way as is bal of fuel system values all with in GM spec...If not I would think there would be a Yeller light lit in the instrument cluster,goes by the name of ses .....

Mac

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In answer to all of your replies, I have no Idea on how any of these tests were performed. I am the farthest thing from a mechanic.

I forgot to tell you prior to this, but henry has only replaced 3 fuel injector pumps. All of which were on "juiced" up trucks.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no idea how this all ties in. Do you guys think this a coincidince? Like I said, I have no Idea.

I think I'm going to leave the box unhooked for one month. If problem occurs again, dealer sucks. If problem doesn't occur, then what do I do?

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I have replaced a few pumps but interesting to note that they were all on Stock trucks.

Mac, ses light wont come on for injector balance until you get to 15.0!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts