Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just purchased a 2004 2500HD CC. I would like to know if the juice/attitude performance upgrades VOIDS the factory warranty.

Thanks

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
A dealer could void your warranty for putting a tire on that is only one size bigger. They can be real sticklers sometimes. If a situation ever had to go to court and you found a real good laywer, there is an act called the magnum/moss act. It basically states that the dealer has to prove your modification was the exact cause of the failure. For example a suspension lift would not nescasarly be the cause of a blown engine. Or after market wheels did not cause your power seat to quit working. Hope you are getting the picture that there are no absolutes. OUT OF SITE OUT OF MIND;)

·
Registered
747 Posts
That would be Magnusson-Moss Act.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
In my experience they don't want to do what's right even when you are totally stock and it is clearly a failure that is out of your control.

Example would be injectors.......they know the problem exists, they designed a sub-standard fuel filter, yet will not replace or fix the problem,fuel filtering ability stock.

They stick it to you when you are out of the 3yr/36K and aftermarket warranty companies just want to take your money and screw you as well if they can.

I can see this happening:

"oh I am sorry sir, we cannot cover your injectors, you put an extra filter on to try and save them from our sub-standard design and by the way you have a remote starter"
warranty denied, call this 800 number if you want to argue it with my higher ups.

If it is affordable to you, buy a new one whenever it runs out of warranty if that suits you , then give it back......it seems to be the way they want it IMHO.

Then you never have a non factory warrantied vehicle.

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
anybody know anybody that has used that M/M act and won in the courts? I see it thrown around alot, but never heard more then that

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Yes I do, but it was settled out of court, and it wasn't applied as noted above. It's a pretty good deal if you can get a consumer law attorney to take the case, if there is any settlement, the company the action is being taken against is responsible for the legal bills, the compaintent get's 100% of the settlement. This provides incentive for the company to settle rather than drag it throught the courts if the know they are in the wrong. The example I have, the M/M act was used in a situation that would be similar to Lemon law but the situation didn't meet that law's criteria. There are firms on the web that will take cases if a person is interested in using the law, Just need to do some searching.

You won't hear many details on the settlements, lots must agree not to share terms of the settlement to complete the transaction. Edited by: srode

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
common sense usually prevails...........remove all evidence before going to the dealer

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Bronco said:
A dealer could void your warranty for putting a tire on that is only one size bigger. They can be real sticklers sometimes. If a situation ever had to go to court and you found a real good laywer, there is an act called the magnum/moss act. It basically states that the dealer has to prove your modification was the exact cause of the failure. For example a suspension lift would not nescasarly be the cause of a blown engine. Or after market wheels did not cause your power seat to quit working. Hope you are getting the picture that there are no absolutes. OUT OF SITE OUT OF MIND;)
They won't VOID your warranty entirely. They may simply refuse to repair something that is related to tire size... in that case. Like drivability issues.... downshifting.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Hoot, that is not what the obese feline said?

Edited by: Bronco

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
Quote from my web site:

Warranty Issues:
Most modifications shown here should not cause warranty concerns but remember: "Out of sight = Out of mind!" Any of the modules/programs listed here can be removed and there is really no way of detecting their use by the dealer. Now as for warranty issues, YES the dealer can refuse warranty due to the use of ANY module. There is the Magnusson-Moss warranty act that says the dealer/mfr must prove that the aftermarket device caused the failure directly, BUT the long and short of it is this: THEY hold all the cards, and in most cases, what they say goes. It all depends how much time/money you have to throw into a court case IF the need should arise! Again, "Out of site = Out of mind..." Try to keep on the good side of your dealer, and HOPE he/she is open minded!

Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
511 Posts
Some dealerships actually sell certain programmers in their parts dept.!

My local dealer sell the Superchips microtuner

BUT, I am taking off my juice every time the dealer sees my truck...

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Kennedy said:
Quote from my web site:

Ê

<font size="4">Warranty Issues:</font>
Most modifications shown here should not cause warranty concerns but remember: "Out of sight = Out of mind!" Any of the modules/programs listed here can be removed and there is really no way of detecting their use by the dealer. Now as for warranty issues, YES the dealer can refuse warranty due to the use of ANY module. There is the Magnusson-Moss warranty act that says the dealer/mfr must prove that the aftermarket device caused the failure directly, BUT the long and short of it is this: THEY hold all the cards, and in most cases, what they say goes. It all depends how much time/money you have to throw into a court case IF the need should arise! Again, "Out of site = Out of mind..." Try to keep on the good side of your dealer, and HOPE he/she is open minded!

Ê

I'll let you know when WE go to court ....

Ê

Mac
Alright, I've met Kennedy and I've met Mac so I know they both exist...So WTF is up with that post? Who's saying what?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Kennedy said:
Quote from my web site:

Warranty Issues:

Mac

===============================================

Mac

====================================

OOOPS My Bad looks like I pushed the wrong button .... I edited the post as oppose to quoting ... I apologize surprised no one caught it ,it was a mistake ....

Sorry to all effected....

Mac

Edited by: Mackin

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
I thought maybe someone was having an out of body experience or something. Mac is was ready to call the exorcist for you...now you're saying I'm no one? That anint right...

Ox

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
BlueOx03 said:
I thought maybe someone was having an out of body experience or something. Mac is was ready to call the exorcist for you...now you're saying I'm no one? That anint right...

Ox

Man sorry OX ,you are real ...

It's not like I can get away with anything if I edit my finger print is left behind so no one can insinuate I can alter post with out their knowing I do ....That is the case with all us moderators ....

I'm pissed with my self I made the very obvious error .... Took the funny right out .....

Mistakes do happen .....

Mac

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
I can see where that could happen as I myself have clicked the "edit/delete" icon on another man's post when intending to reply/quote, but of course, the forum stopped me.

Dunno if I'd trust Mac with a loaded gun though after this...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Or a transmission either....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts