Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lent my juice to a friend to try for a couple days. He only uses his truck to tow. His only complaint about the juice was that the allison didn't gear down as quickly (in tow/haul) as without so the truck didn't slow down as quicly when slowing to a stop. He really liked the quicker slow down for driving in town.

I put the juice on mine almost at new and only towed once before i put it on. I never noticed what he did. Has anyone else noticed this? Edited by: Max Power

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tell him he should sit down untill the "ludes" wear off ......

Just kidding. I have towed with the juice on and off and have found no difference at all with grade braking.

Cheers

Bear

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting... he swears it is night and day.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I didn't notice a change in my grade braking with the Juice. It works just fine... not sure why he had problems??

Bob

·
Registered
62 Posts
Maybe he had a connection issue with the Juice?
I can't tell any difference in grade braking with the Juice on.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, mine is different. Seems like I'm always grade braking down from some higher speed

Just joking, no difference that I can tell.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Actually I think you're on to something!

It would stand to reason that with the Juice he would be running at higher speeds then without it, probably might not realize the increase in speed, just that it takes it longer to get stopped.

Juice=Higher Speed=More work for the T/H to get it slowed back down........What'da think ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Maybe the allison was still in it's learning process & has to learn the power for grade braking also.Mine works fine but it had some time on it before I towed.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DaLDmax that is not the case. On the road out of town there is a set of rail road tracks. The speed limit it is 80km/h. There is a stop sign roughly 1/4mile up the road. We tested it coasting from 80 to the stop sign with juice and we had to brake down from about 50km/h to make the stop sign. With no juice he only had to use the brakes to bring the vehicle to a dead stop as it was just rolling. So there is without a doubt a difference in his truck with trailer (about 5000lbs). It seems like the allison is not shifting down as quickly with the juice as without. not a big deal just an observation.

·
Registered
448 Posts
There is a definate difference with the Juice or TST or whatever as far as the Ally is concerened as far as up shift points, it takes a while to re-learn. There may be a difference in down shift points as well? If you leave the Juice installed for a while the Ally may begin to act as it's supposed to on the downshift, I don't know. Leave it on for a while and see, that is if you can stand to be without it that is

·
Registered
38 Posts
Funny that this question was just brought up. I tow with my 02 crew cab 3500 4x4 D/A and needed more power. I didn't go with the chips because I could only use so much of the power off the chip for pulling with out destroying the trans. I decided to go with hypertech and put it on the high setting of 90hsp and 150lb torque. I also put a AEM brute force intake on it and love the power. The down side is that my trans does the same thing it doesnt down sift no where near as good as it did when stock. I also had a funny thing happen the other day I was pulling my 6 horse trailer full of horses and going up a hill it had to down shift to pull the hill. It came out of 5th at about 65mph and then steadly fell to 55mph before 4th suddenly put me in the seat and then took off at full power. It was in T/h mode but it felt like the torque converter didnt lock in for about 15 seconds. what could that off ment. Usually when it down shifts it takes off but that hill it didnt. I have never had this problem and have put about 1500 miles on with the new stuff on the truck untill the other night. The down shifting has down that since i put the stuff on it for slowing down.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd say give the trans a while to learn how to deal with the changes.

I've had the Juice on for around 3k miles. The most I've had to haul to date was about 6000lbs. In T/H mode below about 35-40 mph the downshifts will jerk you around a little. In traffic and empty running in the T/H mode it will really slow the truck down, unless coming to a complete stop I don't have to use the brakes much in rush hour traffic.

·
Registered
612 Posts
45,000+ on truck ... 35,000+ on Juice .... transmission works as it should under all conditions and on buth regural and tow/haul ... Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts