Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5618&KW=attitude+no+start

I found this thread and it seem I have the same problem. I have been running three days(no problems) and it happened to me twice day. I remember reading about someone having to unplug the Attitude and re-plug it in to get it to start. After two attempts I opened the hood to unplug the Attitude. Having zero tools I could not get it appart...walked to RadioShack to get a small screw driver.....of couse they were out!!
I went back to the rig to just unplug everything.....tried it once more.....it started and ran fine. Stopped again...No Start...I tried it again still 'No Start'. This time I looked up at the Attitude and wanted for it to de-power tried it again and it started fine.

And now it is too late to call UT.

After getting the Juice replace has this problem happened to anyone again?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Unplug the "whole thing", all the stuff under the hood except the Attitude wire, and wait about one minute and then plug it back in. If that does not work, plug your truck in stock and start it up. This is really not nessary...but it'll ease your mind. Ok, the truck starts, right? Now try and plug you juice back in....tell us if it cranks.

Burner--------->

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
There is a programming revision in Beta at present, but it has not been set to release yet. Speculation is "any day now" for release...

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Burner, I was able to start it both times after turning everything off and waiting a couple of seconds.

Since the 'No Start' I have had two good starts without doing anything fancy.
I guess we'll have to see what happens next. I will call Edge on Monday.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kennedy said:
There is a programming revision in Beta at present, but it has not been set to release yet. Speculation is "any day now" for release...

What do it all mean Basel?(quot from Austin Powers, "ya' baby")

Ok, enough being silly! What does Beta mean? Also this sounds like they know about this problem?

Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a beta unit version 4.80 that i am testing for edge due to mine doing the same thing. This version has taken care of all my problems. Edge Rep. says that i might receive another unit soon that has a few more software changes for evaluation. They want to release the "fixed" version soon. A time frame i do not know. The beta unit that i am running has totally taken care of my crank no start problems. It has also made my truck crank like it did when stock (w/o excessive spinning of the motor).

NoWake if it happens again let unit power down, open door to break circuit, let unit power up then start. This procedure worked everytime mine would crank no start before. Maybe new version will release soon.

Harvey

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well, I've had a couple more since I last mentioned this. SC-DMAX is correct, this works for me every time. I have also found that each time I treat it like an EFI car, turn key, give it a second for pressure, then crank, it works fine...

This is really getting old. I'll be glad when the get the update done.

Oh, and BTW, "Beta" sorta means "no quite ready for full release, in final real world testing stages"...

·
Registered
87 Posts
It happened to me once on the second day after I installed it.

I noticed that it takes a bit longer to start than stock, and I didn't wait long enough for it to start on the first crank. Then (probably like most people) didn't wait very long to turn it over again.

The Juice manual says, "...When trying to restart, wait 10 seconds once key has been turned off."

Just another idea...

·
Registered
926 Posts
BadDog,

You said " have also found that each time I treat it like an EFI car, turn key, give it a second for pressure, then crank, it works fine..."

Does that mean you aren't letting the glow plugs heat up most of the time?? are you just starting it right away? I have the juice/attitude and never have any problems. I always wait for the glow plug light to turn off and wait a couple seconds after that when it's really cold or the first time starting it for the day.

Dan

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not at all, I always wait on the light when it is cold. And actually, the glow plugs are still on for a bit when the light goes off. But there is no need to wait when the engine is hot.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
BadDog said:
Well, I've had a couple more since I last mentioned this. SC-DMAX is correct, this works for me every time. I have also found that each time I treat it like an EFI car, turn key, give it a second for pressure, then crank, it works fine...

What he's trying to say is IF he waits a couple seconds after key up (like everyone SHOULD do on an efi gas vehicle) like you'd be waiting for the rail to charge, it seems to work.

As a force of habit, I always wait a few seconds for everything to normalize before turning the key.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info. I sent them a email last night and I will call them on Monday. Just to let them know about the problem and to get on a list for the new version when it comes out.

***I did notice this however.....do not know if it is normal....***

When I first installed it a couple of days ago watching the Attitude when it was shutting down the screen just turned off. Now since the no start when the Attitude is shutting down just before it does the screen flashes black(like when it gives you an alert). Is this the norm?

·
Registered
163 Posts
NoWake200 said:
***I did notice this however.....do not know if it is normal....***

When I first installed it a couple of days ago watching the Attitude when it was shutting down the screen just turned off. Now since the no start when the Attitude is shutting down just before it does the screen flashes black(like when it gives you an alert). Is this the norm?
I've had my juice/att for about 2 months and have never had a problem with it at all. start fine and everthing. I think when I shut mine off the it flashes a black screen at the end of the shut down. I don't think is anything to worry about.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Kennedy said:
What he's trying to say is IF he waits a couple seconds after key up (like everyone SHOULD do on an efi gas vehicle) like you'd be waiting for the rail to charge, it seems to work.

As a force of habit, I always wait a few seconds for everything to normalize before turning the key.

Exactly correct. At different times I drive EFI gas, carbed, and diesel vehicles. Each have their own particular start sequences. Technically, after warm up, it should not be necessary to wait after ignition on. However, with the current Juice/Edge, it seems to need a couple of seconds to initialize before it works properly. If you hit th starter too soon, it has a good chance of getting confused and you get the no crank. At least that's my theory. I've yet to see it "no crank" if I wait, and it has never done it cold when I'm waiting on the glow plugs to heat up (and thus it gets a long delay).

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I have had this happen to me once. A quick check of the Attitude monitor and it stated that it was on power level zero. I turned the key off and waited for the monitor to shut off and then the truck started as usual.

Last week I had a customer complain of his truck doing the same thing, and occasionally stalling while it was idling. He brought the truck in with the Edge box unplugged at the two main harnesses. I plugged it back in and tried to start it. The same thing happened, the monitor said zero and it would not start. After retrying a few times it did start, but stalled while we were talking.

A quick call to Edge and the problem is known. I installed a new box and the customer was on the way with a replacement box on the way to me. Apparently there are some quirks with the boxes.

Mark

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been running without any further problems....but I am waiting a few seconds before cranking. I wait until the Attitude graphics are almost in place.
It seems to be the trick, until the new version comes out.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had the 'crank, no start' four times yesturday. Also the last time it gave me the "yellow engine" light. But there were no codes....I would think the code woulld come right up or do I need to have the dealer look at it?

·
Registered
994 Posts
You need a device that can hook up to the data port under the dash to read the OBDII code. I use a Predator for this task. Most likely the code will be DTC0335 (no signal from CKP sensor). That is what has appeared every time the No Start problem appears on my truck. I would not waste your time going to the dealer. It is an Edge problem (most likely), not a General Motors warranty problem.

After you start the truck several times without the problem happenning, the SES light will go away. The code will still be stored in the ECM history.

There are four or five other threads on this forum (before this one)relating to Juice/Attitude and engine no start. Edge has a problem to resolve for their customers. As Kennedy and SC_DMAX have indicated above, they are working on it. Lets hope they come up with a solution that works.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called them(Edge) today and told them about my problem. They told me to ship my box back to them and they will reflash it with the fix to my problem. They are very receptive to my concerns. Lets hope this fixes it.

Thank you for clearing up the code issue...I was not sure if it was displayed in the info display under the tach and speedo.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had the "no start" problem today for the first time since install (about 2 months) and I held the pedal to the floor and she fired right up. I had tried waiting to start 2 times but it wasn't working, weather holding it to the floor helped or if it was finally ready to start, I don't know. If someone has a Juice that gives them consistent problems I'd like to know if holding it to the floor makes a difference or if I just got lucky.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts