Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John,

Strange event tonight. Went to dinner all is ok. Came out of the restaurant no headlights. All other lights worked fine. Headed home with my PIAA aux lights. Halfway home (about 15 minutes) the lights are back on. Any thoughts as to what happened and what the fix, if any, might be?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Could be anything. No highes or lows? Check grounds and and positive connections for good connections.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Max,

Nothing at all. No flicker or diming they just didn't come on when we came out of the restaurant. Then they're back on 15 minutes later as we're on the road home, no flickering or diming just on. I'm pretty aggressive on wiring and grounding but gona check all the wires tomorrow. The unit has been on the truck for 2000 miles with no problem. Go figure. 3000 miles on the '04 and no other issues besides the weak (not cold enough) A/C. Waiting for the tsb my service guy says is coming on that.

Bob

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Oh man lights out and no ones home !!!!!

Since you've had it in so long a bad connection is doubtful ..... I say a bad diode or most likely a relay .....

Mac ....

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
That sounds dangerous. I've had mine on fr two years and it's been flawless. Check for bad grounds and/or water intrusion somewhere.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
If it were a relay I would expect either high or low to be bad ...not both since there is a relay for each. Could be wrong ...

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Exactly my thoughts tophog. Pretty much gotta be a ground or power issue for that reason alone.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Son of a gun ... about those PIAA aux lights ...did the headlight problem start happening after you installed the PIAA's? The PIAA's aren't some how wired on the same circuit as the head lights right? On another note, I am interested in knowing more about the PIAA's ....got a part number or web link to them? IIRC these are relatively new lights made specifically for the 03/04 trucks and run in the $300 range?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
topdog,

The PIAAs are routed separately (power, relays, switch) that's why I could use them when the lights went out. The aux. lamp side did a quite respectable job getting us on our way home. I got the lights from
http://www.central4wd.com/
and paid $299. They are great lights. I hooked the yellow marker lights to the turn signals and the blue marker lights to the day light running lamps. Looks good. The lamps themselves are very bright. The driving lights are pure white, the fog/aux lamps are a pale yellow color.

SoMnDmax has a thought with the fusable links. Gona check that tomorrow. All the connections were solid and clean when I checked them today. Good ground connections. Hoot is right it can surely be dangerous for all the lights to suddenly go out!

What really got me going was that both sides high and low were all out at the same time. I agree with Max that it sure sounds like power or ground because there is just one connection for each of them and that could take them all down. What is strange is that they came back up and then worked fine all day today. The links can go slowly I guess but.........

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
It almost sounds like you have have wire broken or broken solder joint somewhere in the harness ... have you inspected/jiggled the "hot" wire running to the relays to ensure you don't have a severed wire or busted solder joint? Obviously the problem is "lights" or "no lights" ... if it were a ground problem you'd probably experience dim lights ... and most likely on one side. It's something common to both sides and to me it has to be something to do with the hot wire ...not familiar with fusible links ... I know if a fuse is bad it's bad ...not interimittent. Darn wiring problems are a real pain to find sometimes ... pulled my hair out last summer trying to find a intermittent turn signal problem on my Harley ... ended up being a broken "computer" splice inside the wiring harness up inside the frame backbone ...had to yank the entire harness out of the bike to fix ... but fix it I did.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tophog,

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow and post them for you. You're right about wiring problems. I posted this knowing that and mostly dreaming that someone would find the needle for me

Bob

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was the oem master switch! It apparently got hung up somehow between the off and on side. We were able to replicate it once and so the dealer slipped in a new one. Glad it wasn't my wiring and I'm glad I had the PIAAs on their own circuit so I could get home.

Bob

·
Registered
909 Posts
Interesting, I was thinking it might be relate to the day/night light sensor.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Great! It's so easy to blame stuff on aftermarket changes.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hoot,

Right you are. Fortunately I have a very good relationship with my service manager. I told him I had done all my wire chases and all was good. He said, OK, let's see what the General side of the deal looks like. Any there ya go!!

Bob

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Son of a gun said:
Hoot,

Right you are. Fortunately I have a very good relationship with my service manager. I told him I had done all my wire chases and all was good. He said, OK, let's see what the General side of the deal looks like. Any there ya go!!

Bob

You are lucky to have a supportive service manager as I think most would start mumbling "VOID ... VOIDED, etc." as soon as one told them about the CE harness. Did he know about the CE harness?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes he did. He had a good look at it when I bought it. I asked him if he thought it would void anything and he said it just runs both lights at the same time right? No computer or other hardware interface, right? Good quality relays right? I says Yep, Yep, Yep -- he says charge on!

Like I said, good guy.

Bob

·
Registered
612 Posts
have JK's head light harness on my 3500 and have been well pleased ... glad to hear your service went well

Jim

·
Registered
250 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts