Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Some are....it is not known for good lubricity. Best to mix with biodiesel or additive.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ive been on JET-A now for well over 6 months.I add in stanadyne lubricity treatment everytime I put jet in.Mileage is slightly less, but no other probs, and I do mean slightly.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ive been on JET-A now for well over 6 months.I add in stanadyne lubricity treatment everytime I put jet in.Mileage is slightly less, but no other probs, and I do mean slightly.
Are you running it 100% or as a blend with Bio or #2?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
wats the point of running on jet fuel??? aside from cleanliness
I think its an availability issue. Some who work in the aviation industry have access to drained fuel that cannot be reused and has to be disposed by FAA regulations. Seems a waste to dump all that Jet-A when it will run in a diesel.;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Jet fuel?

I thought that is kerosine? We're talking JP-4 or 5 here? I thought that people in the mid west used this at a 50/50 mix to avoid freeze ups. I don't know much about this issue so I would like to be set straight.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yup I run straight jet fuel, like many others I work with.

And the advantage is the stuff is free, and we get a sh-t pot of it, like he said seems pointless to throw it in the waist drum with the oil and skydrol.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Got me curious now... I pump thousands of barrels of that stuff daily. Never thought to ask flight services what happens to all the offloaded fuel. HMMM.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yea also if ya know of a fueler or are one, they have to drain some off each truck every day to check for sediment and water, and that stuff usually gets tossed too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone ever use jet fuel instead of diesel?
I used it in my 04 for 41000 miles. Started half diesel and half jet A. My 05 is all jet A. I have 43000 miles on it. I add 6 ounces of Lucas addative on each tank. I just had #4 injector bad. They said it was stopped up. Don't think it was from any thing except bad management of my fuel filter.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The Military uses JP-4 in all there ground Vehicles from Tanks to Hummers. With no problems. If you do decide to start using it straight and have a truck that is not very new (I say more than 10K) your gonna need to change the fuel filters about twice, because it will clean out your tank and lines, other than that, put some lub in every other tank or a tank of diesel and never look back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just started using Jet A and diesel fuel mix. Have been adding Marvel Mystery oil 4oz to 10 Gal.of Jet A. Haven't run enough thru the moter yet only have 5,500 miles on an 06 LLY to really see any issues. I know lots of Aircraft mechanics just running it straight. It needs some lubricity according to some fuel engineers I have spoken to. I am thinking of putting a Nicktain filter on the truck.I am filtering from my drum at the 10 micron level. Whats a good diesel additive to use? Keep Em flying.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Just started using Jet A and diesel fuel mix. Have been adding Marvel Mystery oil 4oz to 10 Gal.of Jet A. Haven't run enough thru the moter yet only have 5,500 miles on an 06 LLY to really see any issues. I know lots of Aircraft mechanics just running it straight. It needs some lubricity according to some fuel engineers I have spoken to. I am thinking of putting a Nicktain filter on the truck.I am filtering from my drum at the 10 micron level. Whats a good diesel additive to use? Keep Em flying.
I use Stanadyne Performance Formula.

Here is more info
http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?p=947735#post947735

·
Registered
574 Posts
Ditto on the Stanadyne to increase lubricity. It's recommended by GM and has stood up to independent testing while Marvel Mystery is well....a mystery. Jet fuel is basically kerosine and doesn't have the same lubricity as diesel. I would guess a 10 micron filter at the drum would be a good prefilter. The OEM filter on the Duramax is now duel element, both are 2 microns and chemically treated to block water.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Anyone know where i can get jet a near chicago?

thanks
Signature Flight Support - Midway airport KMDW - although it is $5.86/Gallon. -:t

1 - 17 of 17 Posts