Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure where to put this, but it has to do with the "cleaner fuel" discussions, so I figured put it in P&P. Mods can move if there is a better fit...

Anyway, my neighbor tells me that he knows some people are running Jet A in various diesels from tractors to a Power Stroke. Basically, high grade kerosene. He claims it is held to very high initial quality filtration (I’ll buy that given the application) and that it has better lubrication that diesel (not sure I buy that). Anyway, he is convinced that it could be run safely in the DMax.

Assuming you didn’t get busted on the tax garbage (would be the same as Ag diesel I’m guessing) would this stuff work? I could see it in a 6.2/6.5 or something, but in the HP common rail DMax? I have no intention of trying it, but I figured someone here might have some info...

·
Registered
706 Posts
I would agree on the filtration being better....however given that it is high grade kero I would not expect the lubrication to be equal to #2 diesel. I bet your Dmax would run great until the pump and injectors crapped out.

I have heard the same thing about the military JP-8, great for everything but high pressure common rail systems. The filtering is far superior to road grade diesel.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Jet A burns way hotter than #2, which results in a lower cetane number and way lower lubricity. Jet A has a cetane value around 43 and #2 is around 47. I don't think you would see any performance gain, and your fuel economy would drop like a rock. In my opinion, a hotter burn and lower lubricity don't sound good for a diesel engine. I suspect the hotter burn would also increase EGTs. I definitly would not run it in my truck. As far as the filtering goes, they pass through the same type of filter, at least at the refinery I work at.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Well at ARCO refinery in So. Cal. Jet is run through a pair of HUGE filters and has to meet serious filtration levels. Not diesel.

BUT! Thats not the problem!

The problem is after it leaves the refinery, runs through pipes, sits in tanks, back through pipes, valves, pumps into trucks, etc. etc. It gathers all the rust and crap again.

The only way to keep your truck clean from tank to FI tip is a good filter AS the fuel is going into the tank.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is all pretty much in line with what I expected and told him. But he claims you can get the stuff drained from jet tanks for free and that others run it all the time. Like I told him, if I had an old diesel farm tractor or maybe a 6.2/6.5, maybe... But no way with the HP Bosh system. We've already got enough potential problems without trying to run kerosene through it, free or not... Thanks for the feedback and confirmation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts