Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2008 6.6 2500 long box LTZ. I'm having issues with the steering. Sometimes when I steer left it hangs up and it's like Armstrong steering when I turn right it works just fine. I've replaced the power steering pump but that did not solve the problem. Wondering if anybody else has had similar issues? I'm considering replacing the steering gearbox next. Any help would be much appreciated.

· Administrator
22,221 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

When you replaced the steering pump did you install a new unit or reman?

· Premium Member
2007 Klassic CCSB 2500HD. Six-gun w/speedloader, iDash, and EFILive.
1,101 Posts
Basic steering 101, which I'm just putting out there cuz some people don't know but I'm sure you do. Make sure your tires are the right pressure, make sure you get all of the joints greased. Even the idler arm. It's a giant pain in the butt.

Have you put the front end up on jacks and then pushed the wheels back and forth by hand? It does take some effort but if you can put your hands on the 9:00 and 3:00 positions of each wheel, you should be able to turn them back and forth to the stops.

Is there any way to reliably reproduce the situation?

When you have to Armstrong it, can you hear the power steering pump whining?

If none of the linkage is binding then you probably lost a bearing in the steering gearbox, and would be right to replace it.

Ever run over anything, or clip an animal? Does it always happen at low speed? Accelerating decelerating? If you did manage to bend something and it's only binding when you're on the brakes turning left that could be it too.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Basic steering 101, which I'm just putting out there cuz some people don't know but I'm sure you do. Make sure your tires are the right pressure, make sure you get all of the joints greased. Even the idler arm. It's a giant pain in the butt.

Have you put the front end up on jacks and then pushed the wheels back and forth by hand? It does take some effort but if you can put your hands on the 9:00 and 3:00 positions of each wheel, you should be able to turn them back and forth to the stops.

Is there any way to reliably reproduce the situation?

When you have to Armstrong it, can you hear the power steering pump whining?

If none of the linkage is binding then you probably lost a bearing in the steering gearbox, and would be right to replace it.

Ever run over anything, or clip an animal? Does it always happen at low speed? Accelerating decelerating? If you did manage to bend something and it's only binding when you're on the brakes turning left that could be it too.
I have it in the shop now. They are thinking it might be the steering gearbox. I'll know more come Monday.

· Administrator
22,221 Posts
I have it in the shop now. They are thinking it might be the steering gearbox. I'll know more come Monday.
It could be an air pocket in the system from the pump install.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.