Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw an ad in TRUCKIN' about diesel headers....I didn't know there was such an animal. Anyone running them and if so any difference in smoke..power...even sound. I believe the ad I saw was for JARDINE. thanks for any info fellas...MARKEdited by: DURAMAXED03

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have a Jardine exhaust and am not impressed with thier operation. I got a decent price, but I was sent the exhuast without any directions and they screwed up another guys I knew that got one. I called them but got zero feedback from them. There hangers didnt seem to fit right either, had to mess with them.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I guess I'm having a tough time visualizing how headers would benefit a turbocharged engine to any great degree.....

The whole idea behind headers is that through the design and equal length tubes running into a collector, the movement of the gasses and sound waves into the collector produces a low pressure area or "suction" in the collector area.

If you put a turbo in the exhaust flow, you've eliminated the free flowing equal length tube design that makes headers work. You might gain some exhaust flow if the tubes were a larger diameter with the smooth equal inside diameter bends, but would it be worth the expense for whatever you might gain?

Now if you were running a supercharger instead of a turbo, that's a whole different story.

Just wondering in print here...
Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
393 Posts
I was wondering the exact same thing, but a nice set of stainless headers to compliment your stainless exhaust would sure be nice!!!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Probably only difference would be torbo spoiling up faster due to less restriction. Should notice quicker response in boost pressure.

Geno

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Exactly my thought and maybe worth pursuing in an all out competition machine. But I would imagine the gain would be small and not nearly worth what the system cost in terms of a street performance improvement.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Any gains that you would get from a less restrictive system would be negated by the cooler exhaust temp. You want a lower EGT for the engine, but as high as posible for the turbo.

Dave

·
Registered
242 Posts
One thing to consider is that any exhaust restriction builds EGT's. Headers should allow you to run more boost w/o increasing EGT's because the airflow is more efficient.

·
Registered
704 Posts
sycloneGuy said:
Any gains that you would get from a less restrictive system would be negated by the cooler exhaust temp. You want a lower EGT for the engine, but as high as posible for the turbo.

Dave

Why would you want "as high as posible" EGTs for the turbo. I would be worried about a melt down.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ths smoother the bends in the exhaust, the higher the velocity that can be maintained. The higher the velocity when reaching the turbo, the higher the boost will be. I think there is room for headers, and if someone makes them, they will make a difference.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that it would create a smoother exhaust flow as well, better spool up, make the truck feel (by the seat of the pants sensor) that air is just coming in through intake and going through the exhaust. But then again I also thought you could by ocean property in Arizona

Mark

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Morning Guys,

I was involved in this same type of set up on that "other" brand of diesel truck. Headers helps increase velocity and does help the truck perform better, however it won't make much if any difference on the typical modded truck that 99% of us have. You have to be way out there on the edge going for broke HP wise to see the advantages. Hope this helps.

Mark @ DPPI

By the way those headers were WAY expensive too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts