Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed this article in the Jan04 issue of GM TechLink...

Winter Cover

"This information applies to trucks with the LB7 and LLY Duramax diesel engine. A winter cover is included for use in cold weather states (fig. 12).

Installing the winter cover enhances heater performance and reduces the amount of time it takes to warm the inside of the vehicle when the temperature is below 0°F (-18°C).

The cover installs over the front bumper and restricts airflow to the engine compartment.

Overheating Guidelines
The following guidelines apply, to avoid overheating the engine:
- Do not use when temperatures are expected to be above 32°F (0°C).
- Do not use when towing a trailer.
- Do not modify the cover.

Installation Tips
The vinyl cover may appear undersized before being fitted for the first time. This is normal. It’s best to install for the first time when the cover is warm.

The cover is retained by push-pins in the grille area, snaps, and black tabs, which must be bent into a J-shape.

Cut the black stitches provided if a front license plate is required.

More information can be found in the owners manual on SI (document 837330). Follow this path:

Build vehicle > Features and Controls > Starting and Operating > Description and Operation > Winter Cover."Edited by: jbplock

·
Registered
154 Posts
On this same issue of Techlink they talk about some 20" wheels and tire combos they are going to offer (pic only shows 6 lugs) but an interesting tidbit in the description goes..........

Re-Programming -- Reprogram the PCM for speedometer accuracy. Contact Techline to obtain a VCI number (1.800.828.6860 English or 1.800.503.3222 French). Then refer to the table in the bulletin for the appropriate calibration part number, based on the model year and axle ratio.

TIP: Because this is not a warranty repair, dealers will incur a charge to obtain a VCI number.

Update the tire size value in the ABS module, using the Tech 2. Follow this path: Diagnostics > Model Year > Vehicle Type > Chassis > Product Line > GVW > ABS > Special Functions > Tire Size Calibration > Verify VIN > Select New Tire Size.

TIP: If original equipment tires/wheels are later reinstalled, it will be necessary to reset the programming of the PCM and the ABS module to the original specifications.

Does this mean that we will be able to correct speedos??????????

Steve Edited by: bigsky1

·
Registered
125 Posts
bigsky1 said:
Does this mean that we be able to correct speedos??????????

Sure sounds like it to me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know this doesn' have anything with the winter cover but you mentioned RECALIBRATION !

I carried my truck to a dealership (not where I bought it) to get it recalibrated. It stayed there all day. When I went to get it they were still waiting on GM to call with the number to let them in. Gm called and said that it could not be recalibrated for 265/75/16 but that it could be done for 265/75/20. GO FIGURE !!!

I later took it to the dealership where I bought it to see what the deal is. They checked around and in trying to decide what could be done they talked with a mechanic. He said sure he could do it. He has a truck just like mine and he had done it to his. They took it in and in about an hour came and told me that they were sorry but it couldn't be done. There is something about the ABS not working right. The mechanic had gotten his when the 03's first came out and at that time they were letting you do it. GO FIGURE AGAIN!!!!
Billy

Edited by: bsiler

·
Registered
341 Posts
My dealer told me that GM said that they couldn't reprogram the ABS on my '03, even after I told them that other dealers will do it.

???

·
Registered
845 Posts
Gm will only change the ECM info if the vehicle in question is offered with the size tire you are changing too. So lets say your only option is 215-75-16 as thats the only other tire option available with a Dmax equipped truck.(3500vs2500HD) Now GM will change the tire size specs to cover their end only, And what I mean in terms of that is the only thing they can change is ABS brakes. They can not and will not change any other ECM programming besides brakes( no speedo, no shift points nothing).

Now I think one could change the whole kit and caboodle if they had a 1500, as they come in 245-75-16, and 265-75-16.

Bill

·
Registered
747 Posts
IIRC, the 3500 SRW comes with 265/75/16's. I will be able to let you know for sure in a few weeks as a coworker has ordered one and, according to his dealer, it should be delivered mid-February.

·
Registered
341 Posts
So is this a new thing (not programming ABS)? I've previously read on this list and the "other list" over 10 people who claim that their dealer reprogrammed their ABS...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Given the preceding, I suspect that a Tech II could be fooled/used for some non-OEM tire sizes. In going through the Tech II menus to implement being able to adjust the throttle via the cruise control (0 mph & not the same as fast-idle) by "telling" the Tech II that the vehicle has the PTO option (even though it does not) and then getting access to the PTO programming options. I'm >speculating< that an analogous approach might be taken to re-program the PCM/ECM on a 2500HD, for example, to adjust everything for 267x75 tires since these can be obtained on the 3500.

This is just the speculation of an old programmer. If somebody knows that this would or would not work, I'd love to hear about it. My 2500HD and Tech II will both be arriving around the first of the month so, if nobody posts anything between now and then, I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Since the TechII can and does read the VIN number, my guess is that the software prevents one from doing anything to a particular VIN that's "not permitted".

Sure would like to put my laptop in between a TECHII and the OBDII connector and capture a few of those programming strings.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Check out the info on VCI numbers at http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/images/issues/cnt_mo/TLcme.html#story2

Since you can change the PTO options even though the vehicle can not and does not have a PTO, I think that I will have to find out through experimentation.

I have a friend that went the to GM LLY class and was told by his instructor that "No tire size changes are permitted on the D/A combo." and that, "If a problem D/A comes in with oversize tires, don't even try to do a diagnosis but send it right back out the door." Seems a little radical, particularly after reading this forum, but there is apparently a difference in the '04s regarding the Allison & oversize tires that has the potential for causing problems.

·
Registered
747 Posts
freddyo said:
I have a friend that went the to GM LLY class and was told by his instructor that "No tire size changes are permitted on the D/A combo." and that, "If a problem D/A comes in with oversize tires, don't even try to do a diagnosis but send it right back out the door." Seems a little radical, particularly after reading this forum, but there is apparently a difference in the '04s regarding the Allison & oversize tires that has the potential for causing problems.

No difference as far as tire size changes between '04's and pre-'04's. That is what GM wants the techs/service managers to tell people so they won't have to do the warranty work. If the 3500 srw comes with the 265/75/16 tires, I should be able to put the same tires on my truck. I have a coworker who has ordered a 3500 srw. It is the exact same truck as mine except for overload springs and the steel wheels and 265's. This bull about oversized tires is crazy. They would not be oversized - my stock tires are undersized.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Somethings are just too simple to comprehend. Just becuase a 3500 SRW comes with 265's, dont mean its ok to put them on your 2500. GM is very clear in there thoughts on oversized tires on D/A trucks. I suppose that if you were a very good programmer and knew how to do that type of things, you could get the Tech-II to allow it. But GM says no, thats that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just my .02

Mackin has posted a link to the Allison page under the 2500/ 3500 section under the topic Trans synd or Mobil 1 ATF of this forum which will link you to the setion I am referencing below.

On the Allison page I had read under the frequently asked questions about tire oversizing , and my take on it was that it is not allowed on the 04's due to the programming of the transmission shift points with the factory size tires, and towing capabilites( oversizing of tires will overwork the transmission by changing the shift points). With that being said, personally I don't feel there would be an issue during normal use, but it could become an issue with towing ( Allison stated the truck probably wouldn't go into 5th while towing heavy loads) ( Allison goes into the programming parameters of the transmission I.E Torque/ Horse Power curves determinig shift points) must be stock trucks hey? Check out the link and read it for your self.

No doubt GM will void any warranty if this is found to have been done.

Again just my .02 on the subject

FranEdited by: 04wanabemax

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an 03 2500hd 6 and talked to my dealer about going with the 265 and asked if they could reprogram everything, and he said aslong as it is something they sell for the truck it can be programmed. I f i bought the tires some where else and came in to get ptogramed they were not allowed to do it. I was quoted a price for 265 michelens everything on and out the door, reprogramed for $785, and that is from a dealer.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Can the ATM be reprogrammed with the Tech II? If so, the shift points could be changed to compensate for the oversize tires. Incidentally, the Allison para on the subject addresses using 285 tires + heavy towing. I will not be towing and I am only interested in 265 tires so it shouldn't be a problem. Unless, of course, I totally lose control and slip into WOT.
But I don't do that anymore. It's just nice knowing that I have the option.

I have a set of 265's mounted on another vehicle so I can check it out without risking buying a set of 265's that I can't use. It sounds like I might be getting a second set of wheels. One for the road and one for the dealer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
freddyo,
That is what I have done. I kept my 245's and found a set of rims on ebay. And like you said, now I have my tires and GM has their tires. Seems like alot of trouble. I guess we do what we have to do !!
Billy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Why the big deal on the oversize tires i have 9000 miles on my 265 with no issues plowing,pulling or just driving!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Trucknut -

I think that the issue is limited to the 2004 D/A. There is new/different stuff going on in the Allison/ATM.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts