Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a nice 3.5 Ton floor jack from Sam's to rotate my tires this weekend. Is it critical where I put the jack to lift each of the tires?

The last time I looked in the Helm's service manual, I honestly could not differentiate between the jack and the truck in the skecthes that show the jack/lift locations. I just want to make sure that I lift each tire at the correct location on the axle and/or support arm.

Thanks for any trivial information!

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
The frame should be stong enough.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Don't use the crossmember under the front diff/engine. It will bend.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not trying to be picky, but "crossmembers" and "frame" is pretty general.

Can I lift the rear wheel via the axle just inside the rear leaf spring assembly?

Can I lift the front wheel just below where the wheel connects to the swinging arm or do I have to lift at the frame and lift the whole side of the truck.

Is it not possible to lift each wheel independently without lifting the entire frame?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'm not real fluent on some of this terminology and want to make sure I don't bend anything.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Depending on how you rotate the tires you will need to lift either the whole truck in the air or at least one side or it becomes a bear to do.

Either the axle you describe of the frame are safe IMHO. The cross member Hoot speaks of is the lateral piece of metal directly under the oil pan. Don't put a jack on it, it will bend, I know
. The Oweners manual should be more specific as to jacking points. (pictures)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. That's exactly why I got two jacks so that I can lift two wheels at the same time without lifting the whole vehicle. I don't want to have to lift the frame to relieve the suspension (too high of a lift). I just want to take the load off the wheels and lift them a bit.

Based on the Helm's manual, it appears and can put one on the rear axle near the spring connection points. The front lift point on the suspension is not very clear on page O-36 of the service manual. It says it is under the lower control arm. So, I guess I can just lift the front wheel there - although I can't really tell in the picture where "there" is. I'm thinking it's just the lower flat part of the rearmost part of the arm (since it splits).

By using two jacks, I should be able to move the front tires to the rear (opposite side) and the rear tires forward (same side) with only a few simple lifts.

I'm really just perturbed at the lack of clarity in the Helm's service manual pictures!

·
Registered
448 Posts
tundracamper,

Where in Al. are you? I live in L.A. myself. Ozark to be exact.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
I use a jack under the frame just behind the front tires where the seam for the front section and the long frame rails are welded....factory jack location.

For the rear axle, I jack it up on the center of the differential right under the drain plug to lift both tires at once.

If you are rotating tires, I put the rear axel on jack stands and use the floor jack on the front one side at a time.

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
excellent pics SID, If wanting to jack up the front, place the jack under the control arm(s). If jacking up the back, use the diff, if only wanting to lift one side on back, use the shock mounts.

Eric

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly! That's the picture: Front Lift. I can't tell what is part of the truck and what is the jack or lift. Is the picture below correct?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I would still lift from the frame on the froint. Less chance of it slipping. Your jack should have enough reach. And if you lift on the frame there is no chance of wrecking anything.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Tundra,

With 2 jacks lift the front at the fartherest forward point you can on the frame rail. Lift the rear by the differential. The front frame lift will not lift the back by itself. I use jack stands as a safety measure. I have had (and seen) jacks fail. It isn't frequent but one drop can ruin a lot of stuff. Keep your legs out from under the truck when you are working with two jacks they way you propose.

Good luck,
Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts