Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its really annoying. I cant get that [email protected]$@()( driver side (right off the turbo compressor) intercooler boot to stay on!! I even went to the dealer and spent friggin 29 dollars on the super special EEESOOOZOO (its not a GM part!) RTV/sealant that GM calls for on that boot. Let it sit. Still pops off. I cant get it to stay on when boost goes above 29 PSI (according to the Edge Attitude, although im running the old skool 1.0 which ive heard does not read boost correctly). Im just about to order my Nexus boost gauge so maybe my EFILive tune is just making too much boost? But then again guys with twins are pushing 50 with no problems...its really annoying. I cant get it to stay on even if I tighten that stupid clamp as hard as I can!! :banghead:

--Ben

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Is there room to double clamp them?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill try...I need to do something! :(

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Was the hair spray suggestion I read about for real or just a joke?

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Hair spray was not a joke.

Are you cleaning the oil off with alcohol or something? Do not use gas. Every thing need to be clean as a whistle.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Hair spray was not a joke.

Are you cleaning the oil off with alcohol or something? Do not use gas. Every thing need to be clean as a whistle.

Oh please, by all means use gas...then put it together quick and fire it up..have the camera ready ):h

:joke:

You might consider going to your favorite truck shop and investing in some better clamps Ben...That, along with cleaning the surface well should help immensely. :)

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i cleaned it with hairspray...still comes off.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The hair spray trick does work, I have seen it in action too.

Just so you guys don't think Max is :duh: ):h

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
You aren't supposed to clean with hair spray. You are supposed to use the hair spray to re-assemble. You need to clean the boot and the metal off with something that will remove all the oily residue. Try to stick tape to it after. If the tape won't stick, it's not clean enough.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Laquer thinner to clean it and they make a marine sealant for radiator hoses that is super sticky!! That stuff is super sticky and it worked on my buddies truck. Brush a little on both sides adn tighten. Then give it a good overnight rest.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Laquer thinner to clean it and they make a marine sealant for radiator hoses that is super sticky!! That stuff is super sticky and it worked on my buddies truck. Brush a little on both sides adn tighten. Then give it a good overnight rest.
Good post. Ben, try removing the film as best you can, alcohol, yes, and running a bead of rime clear silicone (you can get it in the glass block section of home depot, but RTV may be the same) around the nipple of the turbo, and inside the hose, re-attaching, clamping, when you can let it sit for 24 hours, preferably after it has been running, yet warm, not hot.

RTV (and rime), takes a few days to cure up. Up in your neck of the woods, 3 weeks. Just run her real easy for a few days, bud.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah ill try that, thanks KB. To be honest, I didnt quite let the RTV I put on it set up for the reccomended 3 hours...little less than that :D Its attached fine at the turbo comp. outlet, its just that the aluminum tube that goes down the CAC is whats popping off. Ill go easy on it, but its kinda hard with the boosty "custom" tune im running :muahaha:

--Ben

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Ill go easy on it, but its kinda hard with the boosty "custom" tune im running :muahaha:

--Ben
Got a non-boosty custom tune that works, efi....LIVE baby.

Or pretend you are on ice.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
A good no-residue cleaner (that won't attack most plastics) is starting fluid, preferably the cheap stuff without the 'upper cylinder lube.' Don't try this while smoking, though.

Acetone is probably better than lacquer thinner, but it will attack most plastics.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Also make sure the starter fluid is completely dried up or you will have a run away engine!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Max, what about lighter fluid?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
The edge is not rading your boost right. You should have a boost gauge. You need one bad!! Believe me or ask NoDmax...you need one!

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The edge is not rading your boost right. You should have a boost gauge. You need one bad!! Believe me or ask NoDmax...you need one!
So I could be boosting higher than the 29 PSI that the Edge reads???:eek:

Im just being cheap...I really need to look at it in the way that "a 249 dollar Nexus boost gauge costs less than a blown up turbo":rolleyes:

---Ben

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
If you are only having trouble with the CAC pipe coming out of the boot, take a pair of pliers or crescent wrench and work your way around the outer edge of the pipe, flaring it outward until it resembles a brake line flare. This will keep it from slipping past the clamp. LB7 CAC pipes already have a flare in them, for some reason, the LLY doesn't. I did this on a truck that kept blowing the boot off after all other methods failed. It hasn't blown off since.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts