Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dearly beloved, we are gathered together to remember a unique family member here, the bus.

The bus is no more. We drove it last Sunday home from the park. And it has sat here in the driveway minding it's own business since. We have been plauged with rain, and canceled soccer practices, and games, and over all, not real fitting for going out really.

Tonight, I was helping out with bed time routine, and the neighbor came over to bang on the door, to which my son yelled, "it's the neighbor, the bus is in flames." Quickly I moved my service truck, and our camry, and proceeded to do the best with controlling the fire with a garden hose. The fire was localized under the hood, and worked it's way up the dashboard. The neighbor tried fire extingushers before becoming overcome with smoke. The fire department showed up in short order, but it is a total loss.

No idea.... everything working fine, no problems, no electrical issues, but the fire began in the passenger front section, where the a/c relay center was with the main power junction. That was the best the fire marshall could offer, and said that he didn't see anything malicous.

Many folks may be upset at a situation like this. I can't say that I am not upset, but I can say, I'm very thankful... here's why:

1. The neighbor was going to watch a movie. He changed his mind and decided to go out. That's when he saw the flames and ran over to our house. Thank you Lord.
2. I was the last to drive the bus, I back it in. Dear wife does not. That would mean we could have lost the house too. Thank you Lord.
3. It was at home in the driveway, not with just the wife and kids only and catch on fire on the roadway. Thank you Lord.
4. Quick response of the fire department. Thank you Lord.

There are so many other things to be thankful for, but over all: Thank you Lord. It's times like these we need to change our reactions from "why me" to gratitude of what could have really happened here.

So, here's the final chapter. She's done. She will be going. She will be missed. Thank you all for your support and making her all that she was. She was slated for some improvements, but as you can see, that will never happen now.

One last thankful... they doubled our registration fees here. I just took it through inspection, but was putting off re-registering until the tags were due. That would have been another $150 out the window for 8000 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sorry too hear about your unit, it looked like quite cruising unit.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Glad to hear no one was in or near it. I think I'm gonna start parkin' my rig on the street, instead of beside my house!

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Over 3000 posts...........are you leaving us?

Glad your house didn't go with it. Praise the Lord no one got injured!!

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
So sorry to hear that. Glad everyone was ok..Got any plans for a replacement?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
WOW:eek: sorry to hear about your loss but good thing everything worked the way it did and no one was harmed. what ya gonna do now?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks all for your thoughts. The twin to this bus just went to auction a few hours before this.... I had wondered about going to the auction for the "what if" department one day... not thinking that "what if" would be today....

I'm not giving up on ya'll just yet.

Plans are still pending. I have no idea where to go from here, but I do know, it ain't far, unless a bicycle with child seat and trailer is involved at the moment. :)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
that sucks that you lost your rig man but glad that nobody was hurt and that the house wasnt damaged.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

I'd be interested to know what the cause was.

I'm sure its not quite on your mind just yet but any idea what a suitable replacement will be?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss...at least you're staying positive about it...just as you stated, it could have been A LOT worse...

...are there any plans for what's left of the 'ol gal yet?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
...are there any plans for what's left of the 'ol gal yet?
The fuel is coming out of the tank into my fuel oil tank for my boiler. I'm keepin' the Optima batteries. They were safe in the slide out compartment. My fuel cap still had a slight vacuum on it.... not bad. Anyone care to bid on that?

Might stick the PMD on ebay with a 10 second warranty. The heat sink didn't survive and it's kinda looks like a victim of heat soak. Guess I should have remoted it out of the engine bay instead of the air filter box. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
534 Posts
"The heat sink didn't survive and it's kinda looks like a victim of heat soak. Guess I should have remoted it out of the engine bay instead of the air filter box."

Thats funny

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gotta find some humor somewhere....

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Out of the tragedy will come something positve Kev, just the way the Lord works, sorry to see it happen, but could have been much worse.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Out of the tragedy will come something positve Kev, just the way the Lord works, sorry to see it happen, but could have been much worse.
I always like to have a plan... but didn't have this one sized up. As I sit here and look at the pictures, I realize that the Lord has something... just when, how, and all that, I don't know. That's just where the whole faith thing kicks in. Don't know just how yet, but waiting on the journey between here and there.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
knkreb -

Sorry to hear of the loss. If there is a "good" way to lose a vehicle this is probably the best, as you had indicated, with no injuries or other losses.

Regards,

·
Registered
907 Posts
glad everyones okay and no one got hurt, id say now you have an excuse to buy yourself a D-max.:D

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,865 Posts
Wow, glad everybody is in good. Sorry to hear it, that is a very nice bus.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
knkreb
Really sorry & because I own a 97 (not a van/bus) somewhat apprehensive now about my own rig.
Whatever you do for the future re vehicles etc certainly hope you stay with the forum.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts