Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after scanning thru a lot of the threads dealing with the ITBC I am convinced that my problem lies within the junction box of my 5th wheel camper. BUT, I do have this question........Does removing the tailgate, which requires unplugging the backup camera, do anything at all to the trucks ITBC circuit? I had a little snafu with the 5th wheel hitch lock and had to remove the tailgate:banghead:. After removing the tailgate my '15 2500HD, D/A ITBC no longer tells me a trailer is connected. Since there was a little damage to the junction box on the trailer I'm convinced the problem is there but just thought I would ask about the back up camera.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
taking off the tailgate has nothing to do with the itbc,,these things don't like to be connected to the trailer if the eng is running and the ign is on

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Please tell us the EXACT message displayed on the DIC that denotes you have a problem..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Ron, I saw "service brake system" on the DIC just once. After that no messages have shown up, even when my trailer is connected. And if I switch the DIC over to the ITBC meter when the trailer is hooked up it acts as if there is no trailer hooked up. If I manually slide the controller lever there is no reaction on the ITBC meter on the DIC. Again, I had an accident with the trailer and there ended up some damage to the junction box where the 7 pin trailer cord connects to the trailer. I'm almost sure that is why i'm having trouble but just wanted to be sure the backup camera being unplugged didn't do something to the controller circuit. Sounds strange but you never know.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
See PM's

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DMax3500, I have done both. I've plugged it in with the truck running and with the truck turned off.

Thanks for info Ron, that will be good reading material.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok, after scanning thru a lot of the threads dealing with the ITBC I am convinced that my problem lies within the junction box of my 5th wheel camper. BUT, I do have this question........Does removing the tailgate, which requires unplugging the backup camera, do anything at all to the trucks ITBC circuit? I had a little snafu with the 5th wheel hitch lock and had to remove the tailgate:banghead:. After removing the tailgate my '15 2500HD, D/A ITBC no longer tells me a trailer is connected. Since there was a little damage to the junction box on the trailer I'm convinced the problem is there but just thought I would ask about the back up camera.

Thanks!!!
It sounds like you have a blown fuse. It should be a 30amp fuse located at the front of the vehicle on the left panel. I had the exact same problem when I received my truck. Brand new. The factory/dealer forgot to put the fuse in. It is a special fuse, to my understanding only the dealer can get them for now.

·
Premium Member
17,839 Posts
Blown fuse results in "service trailer brake" message" all the time.
To the OP, using a ohmmeter, measure the resistance between the blue and white wires on the trailer plug (5 & 7 o'clock). Report back with the number. Ideal is around 1.5.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HeyMcCall, Did just as you suggested over the weekend and if I remember correctly I was at 2.0. We did make some headway, I connected to a different trailer and everything on my truck worked as it should which verifies to me that it is the trailer. Also discovered that when I put the truck in reverse it is locking up the trailer brakes. This tells me the backup lights (center prong) is not wired correctly thru the cord. After I dropped the camper on the bed of the truck wrecking the connection box the center prong wire (yellow) on my cord was unhooked. Obviously I didn't get it connected to the right spot, removing that wire stopped the brakes from coming on when I put the truck in reverse. I didn't have time to trace that down but will get to it this week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts