Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading all the posts about gelling up. I think this is what happened. See what you think. I have been driving my truck most everyday in this cold weather (michigan's upper peninsula). I plug it in and it is warmed up in the morning. Today I drove down the highway for about 28 miles. Turn off the highway and was heading up a small hill and then I noticed I had lost power. I was totally shocked. Never had problems before (GMC '03 with 65000 mileage). I limped along to a hotel/ski lodge parking lot. Then called the dealer. He said they have had about 15 trucks in the last couple weeks with gelling up and fuel filter problems. So, I had the a tow truck come and take my GMC to a dealer in this town. This was about 10:30 a.m. I spent the day at a friends house. By the end of the day I called them and the service rep said it probably was a fuel filter and some gelling. It is still 30 miles away at the dealers for the night. This is going to cost some coins, I bet.
Anyway, I have used power station in the white bottle. I filled up some time ago and put this additive in. Then I used about a 1/2 tank. Anyway I did not add more of the additive. Did I screw up. Would this have helped.
I should add the first dealer I talked to (where I bought the truck, not where it's being worked on) said that there is "bad fuel" in the area. With this new fuel, are older diesels going to have chronic problems with this gelling business. I never had any problems at all last winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,596 Posts
A spare fuel filter and some anti-gelling agent would have save you some serious coin.That sucks.I dont like the new fuel either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,080 Posts
firelakekid;1596155; said:
I have been reading all the posts about gelling up. I think this is what happened. See what you think. I have been driving my truck most everyday in this cold weather (michigan's upper peninsula). I plug it in and it is warmed up in the morning. Today I drove down the highway for about 28 miles. Turn off the highway and was heading up a small hill and then I noticed I had lost power. I was totally shocked. Never had problems before (GMC '03 with 65000 mileage). I limped along to a hotel/ski lodge parking lot. Then called the dealer. He said they have had about 15 trucks in the last couple weeks with gelling up and fuel filter problems. So, I had the a tow truck come and take my GMC to a dealer in this town. This was about 10:30 a.m. I spent the day at a friends house. By the end of the day I called them and the service rep said it probably was a fuel filter and some gelling. It is still 30 miles away at the dealers for the night. This is going to cost some coins, I bet.
Anyway, I have used power station in the white bottle. I filled up some time ago and put this additive in. Then I used about a 1/2 tank. Anyway I did not add more of the additive. Did I screw up. Would this have helped.
I should add the first dealer I talked to (where I bought the truck, not where it's being worked on) said that there is "bad fuel" in the area. With this new fuel, are older diesels going to have chronic problems with this gelling business. I never had any problems at all last winter.

There has been a lot of bad fuel going around the Great Lakes area. Double up the dosage and keep a bottle of 911 in your truck for emergencies only. Have them change out the filter and I would find the busiest truck stop you can find and get some fuel there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey you guys, what exactly is 911 and how does it differ from the Power Station Additive in the white bottle that I use and should have used more of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
firelakekid;1596241; said:
Hey you guys, what exactly is 911 and how does it differ from the Power Station Additive in the white bottle that I use and should have used more of.
It is Power Service additive in a red bottle that is for gelled or waxing fuel when you are experiencing problems. It is awesome at getting a near down truck running. As said before it and a filter when you are seeing probs is all you should need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
I had my 03 gel up bad. Had a small dose in the tank of PS white. Gelled up with the wife and kid in the truck (Yeah, I got "the look"). Added a full qt of white and filled up with fresh fuel - hit a drive thru car wash and had the filters heated with spray. Made it home. Still was funky, so I changed the Nictane filter. Got 100 yds past the drive the next morning (-19f) and just got back. Added a qt of PS 911 and changed the GM filter. Next day got the same 100yds and died (-22f). Oh great! Got it back home and after 3 days into a heated shop for a 24hr sauna at 55f. The temp broke (+4f) bought some Howes and added about 12 oz. Has run ok since.

I did an experiment. I have 2 tractors in the barn. Put howes in 1 and ran it at 1400 rpm for 20 minutes. Initially I could see the filter gum up and the bowl cloud over bad, but after about 10 min it un clouded and at 20 min it was clear. Temp was about -8F. The other tractor I added PS white 12 oz to 15 gal, it died after 10 minutes. Both tractors had a double dose of PS white. I think the USLD isn't getting treated by the PS...

jb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the responses. I just got the truck back this afternoon. They basically let it warm up, but a new fuel filter and some staydyene additive. I also had them change the oil, oil filter and rotate the tires as it was due anyway. So, I guess I will need to make sure I add the staydyne (sp) regularly.

However, I did talk call and talk to the service manger where I bought the truck. He said that around here this new fuel is a problem. He said that they had called local distributors and found that there was not much winter blend in the fuel. This service manager also suggested I mix in "No. 1" with the regular diesel fuel. Does this sound right? The good news is that is was 24 degrees today and it seemed like florida compared to what we have had recently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
I was in Indiana the earlier this month and had fuel gell problems and filter problems. It was not just me either. There were many big trucks with the same issues.

I had added anti gell but apparently not enough. While trying to get the truck started I changed the filter that had about 4K on it. After it was towed to the dealer they got it started and checked everything including removing the filter and draining fuel from the tank to check for water. All was OK or so it seemed.

I hooked up the trailer and headed to Oshawa, ON and made the delivery without problem. On the way back the truck would stall under hard acceleration. It was loosing power slowly. About 10 miles out of Elkhart, IN the SES light came on. I got it into the dealer the next morning and they checked the suction side fuel press. and it was 2 psi to high indicating a restriction. Fuel filter was replace with a Delco and press was fine.

The two filters I had on there during this time were WIX. The dealer said they have seen several trucks recently that had the same problem and each were using WIX filters. He said they have even used the WIX at times in the past.

My guess is that there was a bad batch of WIX filters hit the market, Don't know how to prove that but it sure appears to be the case. I have used WIX filters occasionally in the past without problems. I will use the AC Delco filters from now on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
You know, I'm in Michigan too, I plug in at night, but I do add a quart of TC3 2 cycle to every tankfull. Haven't had a gelling issue yet. Maybe it just isn't cold enough, but I doubt thats it. 2 cycle with ULSD seems to be the answer in preventing gelling, that and plugging in when its below 10 F.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,558 Posts
I was lucky enough to get through the last 2 cold spells without issue. However, I'm also in Wisconsina but the SE part of it. I still had temps in the negative area for a few days, never plugged in either. I recently bought 5 gallons of the FPPF lubricity plus fuel power, so maybe that was the key, or I just got good fuel.

As for the WIX comment, not sure i buy that since if memory serves all fuel filters(OEM) are Racor made, not sure if thats changed or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Cougar GT-E;1596344; said:
I had my 03 gel up bad. Had a small dose in the tank of PS white. Gelled up with the wife and kid in the truck (Yeah, I got "the look"). Added a full qt of white and filled up with fresh fuel - hit a drive thru car wash and had the filters heated with spray. Made it home. Still was funky, so I changed the Nictane filter. Got 100 yds past the drive the next morning (-19f) and just got back. Added a qt of PS 911 and changed the GM filter. Next day got the same 100yds and died (-22f). Oh great! Got it back home and after 3 days into a heated shop for a 24hr sauna at 55f. The temp broke (+4f) bought some Howes and added about 12 oz. Has run ok since.

I did an experiment. I have 2 tractors in the barn. Put howes in 1 and ran it at 1400 rpm for 20 minutes. Initially I could see the filter gum up and the bowl cloud over bad, but after about 10 min it un clouded and at 20 min it was clear. Temp was about -8F. The other tractor I added PS white 12 oz to 15 gal, it died after 10 minutes. Both tractors had a double dose of PS white. I think the USLD isn't getting treated by the PS...

jb
If I'm not mistaken Howes says they won't gell or they pay for towing. I have known of diesels gelling with Power Service long before this ULSD. If I was in the cold, I'd be running Lucas or Howes and not Power Service.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top