Diesel Place banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,280 Posts

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
A pusher fan will be hard to find and I have no idea where you will find one other than a motor home junk yard. Since the later model serpentine engines turn the fan backwards perhaps adapting a backwards Duramax fan to your hub might be a workable alternative. Direct drive would be way to run this thing, no fan clutch,

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
A pusher fan will be hard to find and I have no idea where you will find one other than a motor home junk yard. Since the later model serpentine engines turn the fan backwards perhaps adapting a backwards Duramax fan to your hub might be a workable alternative. Direct drive would be way to run this thing, no fan clutch,
Thanks Dieselpro, that's exactly what I found out. I found a fan that was almost a 20 inch and a 2 1/4 extension and it works great for now. After market fans have option for regular or counter rotating fans so no problem there. I don't think it puts out the same CFM because it's not as deep as the original, however it works for now. I've added an electric fan to the radiator, but will eventually build a fan shroud to accommodate 2 puller fans. It was always a direct drive and it still is. Good to hear from you and thanks!:)

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
It would help to put in a relay and take the load off the ign. switch.
Workhorse actually had a TSB on doing that due to many burned up switches.

Reactions: ArchaicAeronaut

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It would help to put in a relay and take the load off the ign. switch.
Workhorse actually had a TSB on doing that due to many burned up switches.
Well Glagulator, I'm glum, I did not find any indication of burn or excess heat marks on the switch. I was really hoped burned contacts was the case. On top of that I managed to destroy the switch by taking it apart further than I wanted to. I have a new one on will call. Maybe I'll have a look at the relay, I know it's approximate location, I'll just have to let get my helper to activate that switch for me. The up side is that the switich has been eliminated as the source of the problem. Back to square one. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Do you have a fuse/relay center like this?

Reactions: ArchaicAeronaut

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
View attachment 642271

I have never seen a fuse block with more than 15 Amp fuses, I'll take a few pictures of the one I have (which is a quandry, I have no map of what does what). I'll go investigate as soon as I get this switch installed. There should be one somewhere on this vehicle. (y)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

View attachment 642271
Well, if I'd looked closer at the wiring in this vehicle, I wouldn't be working on it now. Here is a picture of the the fuse blocks on this unit. There is a large relay on this platform, and I will have to use a wire tracer to find where all these leads go. Tomorrow I'm going to reverse trace the FSS on the DB2 to it's origin if possible and determine the weakness from where it is powered. I have enclose a couple of pictures. Thanks for your help.

I'll send pictures of the solenoid that is on the front of the firewall, as I'm trying to figure it out. It seems like most of the load items are hard wired to distribution busses that I cannot find a fuse box for. Stay tuned for more. :unsure:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
That is the "instrument fuse panel" (IP fuse box) and the convenience center.
There should be another panel similar to the one I posted with relays and heavy fuses.
OR there are some fusible links and maybe relays somewhere.
I'm guessing there is a relay near the engine for the FSS.
If not it needs one.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That is the "instrument fuse panel" (IP fuse box) and the convenience center.
There should be another panel similar to the one I posted with relays and heavy fuses.
OR there are some fusible links and maybe relays somewhere.
I'm guessing there is a relay near the engine for the FSS.
If not it needs one.
I'm going to a deep dive looking for it. I'll get back to you this afternoon. Thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'm going to a deep dive looking for it. I'll get back to you this afternoon. Thanks.
Well I've looked all over for a fuse panel with no luck so far, just thought of one more place I could look by the 110 volt panel, but I don't expect to see anything there. This thing is loaded with relays though and it's a spaghetti nightmare. There is wiring on wiring. I did find a relay that has a burned looking 5 amp fuse on it, but it's not the electrical contacts (the fuse is good), it's on the upper top and side of the fuse. I've attached some pictures of the relay. I haven't had my assistant to turn the ignition switch off and on for me, but I think I'll be able to get her out there today. This relay seems to provide current for the dash and other 112 volt busses, but I don't know for sure. Any thoughts? There are NO electrical schematics available for coach or even the chassis, if there are they are very well hidden. I am going through the process of cleaning contacts to the busses that the relays provide, just to make sure.

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts