Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I completed the engine/tranny/tc install 2 nights ago.....and it fired up with no issues, Runs nice EXCEPT, I think I'm going to need a set of injectors as even a warm start after sitting for 5 mins will produce white smoke, I think one is leaking down/sticking and on start up causes the smoke(all glows are good and I tested them). Or I don't have the timing advanced enough, as this is the quietest 6.5 I have ever heard, it does not have the rattle when driving.. all in all I'm pleased. Only thing left to do is another oil change after 100-200KMS, install the front drv shaft(I found a can behind the seat with the front straps and bolts after thinking I had lost them...I guess CR put them there:) ) I still have to hook up the gauges/boost/egt/tranny temp.
I have already extended the wiring for the remote PMD as well.

BTW I opened up the oil filter after having run the engine only long enough to get the motor up to temp, and it had lots of metal particles embedded in the filter medium, and the oil in the bottom of the can was a silvery color. I bought 4 filters and 20liters of oil and plan on using it all before 500KMs are on the engine.

CR I'd love to come down to help but I cant as I'm tied up

NICK

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Yes i put those clamps there for you. White smoke? Pull #1 injector, and check that it was put together proper and tight, i had swapped it out to check the cylinder imbalance codes, it might not have been tight or put back together proper (the injector body)

I completed the engine/tranny/tc install 2 nights ago.....and it fired up with no issues, Runs nice EXCEPT, I think I'm going to need a set of injectors as even a warm start after sitting for 5 mins will produce white smoke, I think one is leaking down/sticking and on start up causes the smoke(all glows are good and I tested them). Or I don't have the timing advanced enough, as this is the quietest 6.5 I have ever heard, it does not have the rattle when driving.. all in all I'm pleased. Only thing left to do is another oil change after 100-200KMS, install the front drv shaft(I found a can behind the seat with the front straps and bolts after thinking I had lost them...I guess CR put them there:) ) I still have to hook up the gauges/boost/egt/tranny temp.
I have already extended the wiring for the remote PMD as well.

BTW I opened up the oil filter after having run the engine only long enough to get the motor up to temp, and it had lots of metal particles embedded in the filter medium, and the oil in the bottom of the can was a silvery color. I bought 4 filters and 20liters of oil and plan on using it all before 500KMs are on the engine.

CR I'd love to come down to help but I cant as I'm tied up

NICK

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Now that i think of it though who knows which hole the injector is in now???

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Have you reset the timeset and TDC offset?

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Watch out for that silvery oil color, I just lost a new engine in under 250 miles to a similar condition. The JEEP in my sig to be exact. I had just freshened it up(new rings, bearings, oil pump and crank kit), and the oil pump went south and chewed itself apart. The housing ground up into a fine powder and plugged the filter and bypassed and went through the engine and took out all of the bearings. So keep a close eye on it to make sure that all of the oil doesn't get contaminated and take out a new engine.

Not trying to be a buzzkill, just make sure that FEBRUARY doesn't clame another engine(my 6.5 lost head gaskets and my buddy spun #8 rod bearing in his and then my JEEP).

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QM :I have not yet done timeset or TDC,
Ferm,: I've changed the oil once already, and was curious as to how much crap was in it, thats why I looked...trust me I change oil lots on a fresh engine
CR: I,m not sure which injector is where any more, right now I'm tracking a guy out of BC ho is reputated to be very good with injector/pumps, and not wanting your first born in leu of cash

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I think i still have a 1/2 dozen or so used ones here somewhere... but they did come out for a reason.... just don't remember the reason... lol

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much you want for them, as I can send them out for cores(less down time for me!)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
keep an eye on ur filter deposits, that is a lot of material u r talking about. I have too have built more engine then toes and fingers combined. I know that when deposits show like that, something inside is wearing more than normal, I have had thrust bearings do that but I have caught it before it chewed up the crank. Just be carefull, if you see your oil pressure jump around, stop the truck and pull that motor out. Better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
keep an eye on ur filter deposits, that is a lot of material u r talking about. I have too have built more engine then toes and fingers combined. I know that when deposits show like that, something inside is wearing more than normal, I have had thrust bearings do that but I have caught it before it chewed up the crank. Just be carefull, if you see your oil pressure jump around, stop the truck and pull that motor out. Better safe then sorry.
What he said, that is what mine started doing. But I was away from home and had no choice to drive it. But when my pump went it took out the thrust and the rod bearings as well as my last good cam. I've built to many engines to count as well, but this month seems like a bad one for engines. My buddy thinks it has something to do with FEBRUARY being black history month since 3 engines in one week went south.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
This Sunday Marks The One Year Anniversary Of My 1998 Chunking Its Second Motor, By Cracking A Piston Which Then helped To Bend The Rod Which Helped To Cracked The Cam!!!!!! All Leaving A Stop Light Without Lead Foot!!!!!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe it is normal crap floating around in the engine because of the machining,(It is not that excessive, but if you dont do a couple of oil changes after a rebuild, you end up looking for another engine pretty quick) you guys may have taken what I said to the extreme, but thanks for the friendly advice.
I'll drop the next filter saturday as by that time it will have about 1ooKMS(60M) on it, and I'll cut it open as well, just to moniter, deposits

so far it runs well, about 5sec after start up, all is well. and it acts normal.Again I'll swap out the injectors and I'm sure that issue will clear up

·
Registered
590 Posts
Nick lets see some pics of that badboy,lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts